• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recycle material?

VespaNut

The signs we make are largely for in-house projects, or part of a customization for a customer's interior surfaces. We generate a large amount of Corian scrap in the process, and I was wondering if there is any way to get that off-fall to a large volume signmaker to be used for signs, rather than sending it off to a landfill. If we could recapture a couple of bucks per piece, even better.

For example, right now we probably have about 300-500 cutouts, sized approximately 15"x19" and quite a stack of larger pieces, maybe 19"x21".

I can see the drawbacks...such as limited color selection, shipping.

Destined for the landfill?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If DuPont can figure a way to get rid of it for free without throwing it into the landfills, I'm sure you can, too.

Probably any kitchen or bathroom place will take it, just so they can grind it up and make it into like a slip for repairing other Corian. It can also be crushed and used as decorative stone for landscapers. There are plenty of ways of getting rid if it, if you generate so much waste.

VespaNut

Haha, thanks Gino. DuPont's way of getting rid of most of their Corian waste was to sell their off spec material (that used to go to a landfill) to slightly less developed countries, or discount it as "B grade material" here in the states. Most is shipped offshore now, as I understand it.

But I get your point.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
If shipping wasn't so horrendous that it isn't worth it ... I would definitely be hitting you up on it for an alternative sculpture material. Sadly, I can get granite with shipping for a far cheaper price as a big hunk that I need.

Otherwise, I would look into donating it to the local university and/or art school in your area ... if they have a 3d program they can probably use it for prototyping with a cnc and if the professors are in the least bit progressive the sculpture department would be happy to take materials that are odd to experiment with. From what I've seen in the past ... unlike most stone you can get rather thin and fine detailed with hand carving without making it really fragile.