• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recylcled Substrates

rdm01

Hello,
Working on a project that will be displaying some statistics on sustainability. I offered the client the option of putting these graphics on a nice looking sustainable board, which will be mounted to the wall. My first thought was a product called Dakota Burl, a board made from recycled sunflower husks. I have used it in the past, and it is pretty cool looking. Turns out that company is no longer around.

I then found a product called NewWood. It was another recycled substrate that I thought would look pretty cool to use for the project. The manufacture sent a sample and we were off and running. My client took a while to come around on the project, but now we are off and running. Problem is, NewWood is now out of business as well.

Does anyone else know of a nice looking substrate with some recycled content, or sustainable business practices? Any tips would be extremely helpful!

Thanks!

Attachments

• CC_burl.jpg
    CC_burl.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 392
  • CC_new.jpg
    CC_new.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 367

Auburnpeanut

What size material are you looking for? I am not sure what amount of sustainability you are looking for. From what I understand, the acrylic sheets that Gemini uses for laser cutting are made/recycled in house from the scraps of all of their previous jobs. Would something like that work?

rdm01

We need 4' x 8' sheets, or 5' x 10' sheets.

Didn't know that about Gemini, but that is pretty cool. I always look at our scrap bins and wonder what a place like that must do.

I don't know that acrylic fits the bill on this one. Trying to get a little more 'earthy' with the look.

Ryan

Auburnpeanut

Is it going on a wall? Could you do something with a wall mount frame to hold a banner? Something kind of cool and architectural or modern looking with recycled banner material? I understand there are several manufacturers of sustainable banner materials. Being able to change look and graphics without remaking a whole new sign kind of goes with the sustainability idea. Could be a good way to merge the new sleek with the sustainability factor? I know a few companies are making building materials out of the recycled rubber and plastics (i.e. deck boards, posts, etc). Look up some of those companies online, you might find that they are making sheet goods as well. Hope it helps.