• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reds are turning brown

Garyd3599

I have a mimaki cjv150-130. I have printed banners with it for about 3 years now. I have loved it and had no problems. Then, suddenly my reds are turning brown. (printing cardinal red but even the normal red is muddy).
I am using greenstar 13 oz banner material from uscutter.
I am using nazdar 153 series ink.
I have been using those products for over a year with no problems.
I have tried different icc profiles. Nothing is changing it.
I think it is either a profile problem or an ink problem.
Does anybody have any ideas?

Garyd3599

Is this the one print you mean?
IMG_0183.jpg

If you have been using that profile, material and ink and haven't had this problem before, my guess would be a bad ink cartridge. Did this start happening after replacing one of your inks?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Nozzle check looks good but it's still possible that the magenta is dropping out during the print. That would cause reds to be more brown. If you haven't changed the dampers in over a year, that's where I would start.

Garyd3599

I replaced the yellow, cyan and magenta in the past month. Do you think it would be the magenta one or could it possibly be the yellow?

jwlllpl

I see you have printed using this particular file before but maybe try test printing a series of squares with various shades of red to see what happens and rule out a problem with the file for sure.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Post a picture of the issue. If the reds start out ok and then fade to brown, that's a damper/dropout issue. If it starts brown and never looks red, that is most likely a profile issue.