• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reflective Vinyl and LOTS of Washing and Waxing

LoGl

Hello!

I was away from the business for a while and it's been a while since anyone has wanted a lettering job all in reflective. I have a customer who has a van all lettered up in reflective material. He hand washes weekly and waxes his vehicle monthly. This may be an understatement (really!). He was previously a customer of mine and so he returns to me because what was last done on his van is now either gone (fallen off) or really "worn" looking. The reflective has only been on for apx. 3 years. I don't know what the prior sign guy used, and as he is not answering this guys phone calls...it's likely we will never know.

So my first question is this: what do you most commonly use as far as grade goes for reflective material? I know that police and fire typically wash their vehicles often, so would someone who does alot of emergency vehicles have a solid opinion about this?

Also, has anyone had any tried and true test with printing on reflective? How is that holding up?

Last question. If I were to do SignGold vinyl....in your opinion would it hold up as well as engineer grade vinyl?

I am very concerned because he washes truck so often. Thoughts????

Thanks all!

AUTO-FX

I would go with top of the line reflective . 3M or oracal.
No, I wouldnt use signgold for this guy.
The other sign guy probably used utility grade reflective. Thats about 3 year stuff.

LoGl

Thanks for your thoughts. I would agree too.

Would love to hear about first hand experiences...to know if anyone has experience from fleet work....on longevity.

Jillbeans

I would only use 3M.
Also, I would apply it over an "outline" layer of good high-performance vinyl.
SignGold will last a good long time.
Price the job both ways and make sure you charge what it's worth.
It's probably going to cost more than the last time you did it but the guy can see what happens when cheap materials are used.
Love....Jill

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Use only the highest grade reflective for vehicles.

3M 680 first.

Oracal second,

Stay away from Avery...

LoGl

Anyone use FDC engineer grade reflective?

...and yes...heard about the Avery issue.....wouldn't be a bit surprised if that is what is currently on his van now. Looks like GAHBAGE!!

It's probably going to cost more than the last time you did it

I didn't do it the first time (he was my customer over 10 years ago....but I took some time out of the biz to raise my kids!)

But thanks all for your help. Hoping to reassure this guy and give him a nice job that will last.

Happy Day!
:smile:

Ursta Graphics

Nikkalite ... love the stuff when it comes to ref. Cuts great, weeds great installs easily and it runs excellent on my thermal printer.