• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Remote Desktop/VNC

tanneji

Does anyone VNC into their work computer from home or vice-versa? I am trying to get this setup as we have been having a good many ice-days here in Arkansas and it tricky to get into work. Any recommendations? I have been using G-Bridge but I don't trust it's security and its rather slow. I also have the hitch of having Vista Home Premium at home and XP Pro at work.

Just putting the feelers out there for any advice you pros can give

Thanks

Joel

cgsigns_jamie

If you have XP-Pro you can use the built in remote desktop feature and access it from your Vista Home computer, but not the other way around. Vista home doesn't have remote desktop unlocked so you can control it remotely.

If you do the anytime upgrade thing and upgrade to Vista Business then you will unlock the remote desktop feature for that computer and be able to access it from the XP-Pro computer.

I've never used VNC myself so I can't tell you much about it. I do know that many of my friends use it and it works great for them.

ChiknNutz

I've been using LogMeIn Free for quite a while now (in fact using it right now) and think it is a great solution.

SignBurst PCs

Remote desktop requires some configuration at the router (if you have one).

Basically, just forwarding of port 3389.

Also your "host" computer needs to be XP Pro (or above - ie Vista or Windows 7).

If you use SBS 2003 or 2008, you can use the Remote Web Workplace to do the same thing.

I like gotomypc, but it is a "paid" solution.

I don't use VNC. Not that it isn't great, but I have never had to use it. Remote Desktop has always worked for me.

yukon

I have VNC and used it a lot when I was out west to control the shop Computer in NJ. It worked fine. You need to know the IP address of each computer and configure them into VNC. It's poor at showing photos remotely possibly because of monitor resolutions not matching.

Yukon