• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removal from Hell!

2B

Anybody ever try one of these steamers on old graphics applied to stainless steel elevator doors? I am in the middle of my second recent removal and these are awful beasts.

assuming this is an INTERIOR install?
There will be water and potentially a BIG mess

DChorbowski

Pixel Pusher
I have been seeing some interesting videos on TikTok of people utilizing dry ice blasting to remove all kinds of difficult things from objects. Leaves no mess with fluid or abrasive, but the machines look expensive. Figured it would work well on old vinyl as well. Check this out.

Stacey K

I like making signs
That's interesting! Looks like there's models in the 2-3k range. Would be worth it if a person did a lot...or even for the OP on THIS project!

petepaz

the removal would be like double (if not more) than the install so as long as the customer has the time and will pay then have at it.
i use the vinyl zapper for removals with vinyl that bad but never did one that large. i would definitely make the investment in the steamer, everyone that has one on here swears by it.
just figure that cost in your removal charge

Aaron Hunter

We use the previously mentioned wall paper steamers for most rigs. But for something like this we've rented a Hotsie (heated, high pressure washer).

JBurton

Signtologist
That's interesting! Looks like there's models in the 2-3k range. Would be worth it if a person did a lot...or even for the OP on THIS project!
Interesting indeed. Found a company nearby to rent from... and for once everything on my docket is new builds.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
I wish I got the guy's card...came on Christmas Eve morn to the shop in 2010. It was 18 degrees outside, and he sprays this "stuff" on vinyl that had been on a trailer for 10 years. They were old Dick's Sporting Goods trailers with the large rectangular logo and four (4) graphics of sports equipment (i.e. soccer ball, football, etc.) He then takes out a flame thrower for brush (hooked up to a LPG tank) and warms the areas up. In under 10 minutes he has the graphics off as they just peeled off. If I didn't see it myself, I wouldn't have believed it. He cleared 10 trailers in under 90 minutes with supposedly some chemical concoction he made up himself.
This stuff made Rapid Remover look like 70% IPS.