• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removal from Hell!

thesignexpert

So we have a 53' trailer with old, old, very old graphics on it. I have no idea who did them originally and it looks like a complete scramble of films and sizes were used. As far as I can determine we have 3M 180c with what looks like 15" Avery A9 & possibly 3M 7125 sections. The .040 aluminum skin is heavily oxidized and the graphics have deteriorated badly. In short, this is a removal nightmare. We need to get all of this old stuff off, clean the entire skin and do a full wrap on all four sides. Does anyone have a tried-and-true method for a removal like this?

DSC02310.JPG DSC02311.JPG DSC02312.JPG DSC02313.JPG DSC02314.JPG

2B

steamer, vinyl zapper

or get several gallons of Acetone or Xylene then start scrapping away.

Ive used a Wall Paper Steamer, cheap $40 wagner model. it has worked great on most, some stuff not as well, but it may just do the trick for you.

Charlie J

I would have never accepted the job. You're digging yourself a hole. You may be able to get the vinyl off, but it will probably take paint with it. I was recently involved in a similar project on a box truck. We ended up just wrapping over the old vinyl. It's not the right way, but at the end of the day the customer was happy.

gabagoo

rjssigns

Turn my clients daughter loose with their high pressure steam cleaner. She got a shop truck dirty just before I was supposed to letter their new one. Ended up doing two trucks. Mom wasn't happy.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I have used the steam blade (there used to be a company that rented them) and it works just like the way they show the tint being removed... I just found on really old vinyl to blast the surface for a bit before you shoot the steam behind it.

Pat Whatley

Got a truck wash nearby? I send ours to a company that washes semi trucks and trailers. They blast them off with high pressure and hot water.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We got one of these Wagner steamers a couple of years ago. Works great and makes these sort of removals a thousand times easier...... worth every cent of $55 or so. This model is no frills and has a decent sizes water tank and a decently long hose giving you at least a couple of hours between having to refill the tanks. Takes it about 20 minutes to get hot enough to start producing steam. It is for all intents and purposes a big heating element in a water tank. Get one, now. You will not regret it. Only takes a few minutes to determine the ideal time for it to heat the material and for the most part you will be able to remove the material and the adhesive.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_40627-97-0282018_0__?productId=3033147

C2 Media

Anybody ever try one of these steamers on old graphics applied to stainless steel elevator doors? I am in the middle of my second recent removal and these are awful beasts.