• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Removal of Print From Sign Surface

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
Hear is a good one for all you guys,

Customer wants signs resurfaced with a new vinyl since she is buying the business that she has worked at for 28 years. She would like new vinyl put on the existing signs with her new business name on them.

These signs are at least 28 years old but still in great condition. The sign is 4 foot by 16 foot one piece of material. I looks like lexan material that has been printed on one side but it could have been painted, but it is really thin coating. Not sure how it was printed though. There are three signs I have to do like this.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this print off of this sign material. I tried to use a torch hoping that the ink would bubble up or soften to the point where I could get it off. Sanding will take for ever with a dual action sander.

I also can not find any sheeting of that size to replace it, and if I do the cost will be out of this world to ship something that large and get it in one piece.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
Problem is there is no one around me that sells pieces that large, 96 and 144 are the longest I can find.

If I could find someone with close enough to drive , I would go pick it up..

Know of any suppliers for this material around upstate New York

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Agree. Consider the labor in making the current signs reusable. Best, to start fresh.
...But If she wants to upcycle and clean them up.... As long as they aren't backlit... Maybe she can save some coin with diy prep for what they want

Billct2

Did you try Glantz or Garston?
Since this is a cheap customer you should have just applied new print over the old faces. Unless they are backlit.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Roll stock fro tubelite
IMG_7857.jpeg

unclebun

Assuming your profile is correct, if you are within Grimco's NJ delivery zone, you can just call them to order polycarbonate by the foot. They don't have it available to order online.
No matter which supplier you use, you won't likely find anybody who lists a 4'x16' piece online to order. They will list it as polycarbonate cut to length, and most likely you will have to call them to order it since it is a custom cut order.