• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removal Technique (waxing)

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I wanted to share a removal technique that worked pretty well on most of a vehicle. There was a 16" horizontal vinyl strip right down the middle and tailgate of a truck. The vinyl was worn but not cracked. It seemed to be cast because it was quite thin and brittle. A steamer and heat gun really didn't help much and everything was coming off in small pieces. There was a solid square logo over the top of this stripe and when removed it actually pulled off the section under it with ease. So I thought, lets take some scrap material and apply it over the old stripe and let it sit overnight and adhere well to the stripe. For the most part, it worked well and I think it saved us quite a bit of time. It helped to remove much larger pieces in one pull overall. Here are some photos from one section.

Attachments

• 20230114_121327.jpg
    20230114_121327.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 20230114_121319.jpg
    20230114_121319.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 150
  • 20230113_180114.jpg
    20230113_180114.jpg
    907.7 KB · Views: 148

Stacey K

I like making signs
I know exactly what you are talking about. Often that top layer pulls the bottom off with more ease, provides a bit more stability. I never thought to do this though! Great idea - it's definately worth a try for a few pennies!

petepaz

interesting. will keep that in mind for our next removal. most of the time with difficult removals we use the vinyl zapper. takes off the vinyl and glue. great machine

rydods

Member for quite some time.
interesting. will keep that in mind for our next removal. most of the time with difficult removals we use the vinyl zapper. takes off the vinyl and glue. great machine
We used the zapper on some of the flared out fender areas where it was pretty "baked" on. It makes a huge mess but it was our last resort.