• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing 751 from Vehicle

splizaat

Hey guys...we recently did a big job on a van with 751 (about 6 months ago) using oracal 751. Since then, it's cooled off quite a bit here in oregon and so I'm curious if you have any experience with removing 751 and what my best techniques/methods would be. It's big 24" block lettering down the side and alot of edges start at panels and windows so I am hoping I can just yank it off - but what if not?

Thanks in advance
-Matt

auto accents sc

You are going to need to get the van inside and warm it up. you will probably need to use a heat gun to warm the vinyl up additionally. We use a cheap heat gun from Lowes or Paint store advertised to remove paint. Don't worry you don't have to get it that hot to soften the vinyl. Get the vinyl started with a lil chizler or dull single edge razor blade. Then keep it going, by heating just ahead of where you are pulling. You can also do it outside, try to work on the sunny side. Just have fun.

splizaat

awesome good points. I will pickup a few chizlers...I have been doing vinyl for 4.5 years but never had to remove anything -- customer is rebranding / renaming their company so the old vinyl we just did has to go :( this will be a learning experience haha.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We've had very good results using a Wagner steam wall paper remover. Seems to leave less adhesive behind and works larger areas with no fear of damage. Costs about $50 at Home Depot or Lowes.

RiXaX

For a job like that, I like a bigger steamer.
Some of the truck shops have them to quickly clean fleets.
I can make arrangements with them to come in when they're not busy.
One guy can blast and get a few letters ahead while the other pulls.
If it's only a few letters, I wouldn't bother, but for removing large areas quickly....
it works.

heyskull

As with most of these removal jobs everyone thinks we have a magic machine that takes vinyl off.
Sadly we haven't and i quote these jobs at whatever time it takes!!!
Steam cleaner is probably the best.
Looking in hind sight 751 wasn't the best material!!!!!
I am on with quoting to strip and reletter a fleet of vehicles and my customer can't get it through that it is going to take me longer to strip and clean there vehicles than put the graphics back on!!!

SC

I found that using, tripod halogen utlity lights work great to heat up large areas. I use 2 sets, if it's a large area. Put the light a few feet away and let it heat up the entire area, then move them out of the way, but still close enough to supply heat, while removing the vinyl. You may need to use a heat gun in certain areas also.