• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing cracked window graphics and reinstalling, (vendor provided the graphics)

Sumon Sarker

Hello Everyone,
We are just Removing cracked 212 sq ft window graphics and reinstalling, (vendor provided the graphics) . How
Much should we charge doing this project. It takes 16.5 hrs (4.69 minutes per sq ft )to remove and reinstall. Is there a better way to
Remove this graphics from the windows, we use 2 in razor blade with long handle and soft blade scraper for
Remove the glue using
Rapid remover and dish soap water mix.
We did wet application.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210707_210050.jpg
    20210707_210050.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 815
  • 20210722_235010.jpg
    20210722_235010.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 198
  • 20210707_210001.jpg
    20210707_210001.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 195
  • 1627056759234902840949388262037.jpg
    1627056759234902840949388262037.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:

unclebun

One of these will speed your removal.

Get the pack of replacement blades. You'll need them. You don't want to keep using a blade if it gets a nick or ding in it (you will scratch the window then). Wet the window with Windex as you go to provide lubrication.

There's also GraphXoff and GROG, both of which are painted onto the top of the vinyl and dissolve it so it can be scraped or washed away in 30 seconds to a minute. Both claim to be designed for removing baked on vinyl. You'll need a water supply and power washer to use those.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I like the little chizlers on paint but on a window, Id use a long handled razor blade holder and go to town. Then some rapid remover. Sometimes you have to bend the blade holders to get a little better angle but they work good.

Sumon Sarker

This are the razors I used , short one for
Removing the vinyl , long one for cleaning the glue after spray the rapid remover, and dish soap and water mix.

Attachments

• 1627056759234902840949388262037.jpg
    1627056759234902840949388262037.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 184

2B

You are asking how much to charge, but the work is done?
Was ANY pricing discussed with the customer?

For us, removal is ALWAYS Shop rate + current supply costs
Installation with paneling starts at $3.75 PER SQFT for flat surfaces,
Were you able to reach all windows from grade or did you have to use ladders (more labor, more equipment = more $$$)

unclebun

I'd be weary using that scraper, it says it comes with a carbon steel blade which can easily scratch or etch glass. Stainless steel is a much better option.
Did 28 windows at a resort hotel earlier this month without a scratch. I've seen people get plenty of scratches using standard 2" blades in the standard retractable holder because it lets the blade wobble and with a short blade it's too easy to dig a corner in. But if I had not been careful I am sure I could have damaged a window.

Sumon Sarker

This 2 blade not scratch as it leave glue in the window . Usually our windows are 2 layer , soft layer inside hard layer out side, I did install hard layer window
So no scaratch.

Sumon Sarker

We are in Canada. It is range from 12 to 100 Cad per sq ft.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210724-012000_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210724-012000_Chrome.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 188

karst41

Uncle Bun is Right on.
I learnd this the Hard Way because I did not know.

The Goal is to Float the blade between the adhesive and the Glass.
Yes that is correct

That 2" Razor will scratch the glass really bad. Pay heed to what I tell you or
you could be buying a new store front window. $5000.00

1. carefully clean a small area of glass.

2. Install new blade, and debur ONE SIDE ONLY !
You do this by dragging or pulling the blade BACKWARDS ONLY!
3 times is enough. Your blade is deburred ready.

3. Clean the leading edge of the material to be removed
Sand or and hard particulate will ruin and scratch the Glass
If the particulate is stuck to the blade you will scratch the glass
on each and every pass!

4. Each pass is the working area. It needs and wants to be wet.
Adhesive remover works best for this process.
Keep it wet. Just a light mist is all that is needed on about ever 3rd or 4th pass.
This facilitates the pass and helps to float the blade between the adhesive
and the Glass. TAKE YOUR TIME

5. NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER NEVER Pull the blade backwards.
You just scratched the Glass, and will no longer float the blade
Forward Motion Only. 30 degree cutting angles. and a 1/3" pass is about all
that will cut on each pass.

Remove residual adhesive and then spot tough up with acetone and then
glass cleaner.

You use this same process and techniques on vehicles.

Cheers

We have done similar removals. 4 windows @ 64 sqft each. 3.5 hours on actual cracked material($650) and 1.5 hours($275) on material where only the laminate was cracked.
Without testing, I would have estimated 1/2 day rate for 2 person team with materials at total bid of $700-$1200 with a OR LESS addendum pending discovery. We always lower our charge in consideration of less difficult discoveries. Honor before profit pledge.
First attempt with vapor steamer to assert actual degree of cracking. If only laminate is cracked, continue with steam then follow with adhesive remover with pressure washer rinse. If material is fully cracked, test with paint remover and steam assist to determine most economical process or move to pressure washer blasting test followed with an adhesive remover clean up. In a high traffic area we might have to set parameter for safe particle containment or performed service on an off day/after hours (*add 30% for O.T. considerations). Don't forget to protect landscape and to notify customer of potential damage when more aggressive processes are required. *Pre spraying plants and shrubs with clean water mist will help reduce adverse chemical affects. Maintain situational awareness, mall walkers are oblivious to what's happening around them.

WB

I'd charge your hourly rate plus any other expenses for removal. We charge $65/hr for a removal, plus additional fee for any excess material or shop supplies. You need you pay alittle extra attention to these types of situations because it's easy to use stronger solvents for an easier removal but those solvents may have a significant effect on the rubber seals around the windows!

I'd be at $65-$70 for removal and then 3-4$ per sq/ft for intallation.

Hello Everyone,
We are just Removing cracked 212 sq ft window graphics and reinstalling, (vendor provided the graphics) . How
Much should we charge doing this project. It takes 16.5 hrs (4.69 minutes per sq ft )to remove and reinstall. Is there a better way to
Remove this graphics from the windows, we use 2 in razor blade with long handle and soft blade scraper for
Remove the glue using
Rapid remover and dish soap water mix.
We did wet application.
Thanks
We've had good luck with this product. It makes the vinyl less brittle.

Over the years I've done my share of removing vinyl from doors and windows. Then relettering them. When I go on site I will always add more to my hourly rate. I'm not in the convenience of my shop and I don't have everything I need. Murphy's Law always kicks in. Same idea as when doing a truck or something large on site. It's always higher than the shop rate. Another reason installations cost more than a regular hourly rate. In fact I had a guy years ago bring his door to me to letter to save those few extra dollars an hour.