• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing old vinyl - Chemicals?

speedmedia

Hello,
What do you guys and glas find to be the best chemical to help remove old graphics? We have a box truck from a Saturn dealer with the corporate graphics and they are coming off in very small pieces. Looks like some cheap nasty old crap vinyl was used on them.

I have been using the torch/heatgun and picking away at it but it is just taking forever and we need to get this thing out the door fast.

Anyone have anything that can be purchased at a non-sign supply store? (Since they are all closed for the weekend?)

Maybe something I can spray on the graphics that will loosen up the vinyl and be able to pull off in larger pieces?

Thanks,
Kurt

J Hill Designs

I think heat and patience are your only friends right now - chem's will remove the adhesive residue, but can't think of one to loosen vinyl before removal...

edit: well, some probably will, but will probably also loosen stuff you dont want off

letterman7

Go to your local equipment rental tomorrow and rent a hot water pressure washer. Come in tight and angled to the vinyl...it should lift and blow right off if the temps are right.

gabagoo

They do make a product that removes vinyl, I dont know the name of it but it is not cheap. I would try looking up dealers on the internet and sourse it. Be careful with that water sprayer, they can remove paint too

auto accents sc

The chemical for taking the vinyl off is "called vinyl off". We didn't have any success with it. I wouldn't lose sleep over that stuff.

speedmedia

OK, the saga continues. I got all the graphics off (took 10 hours) Now there is some glue left behind that isn't coming on with anything that we have tried.

I have gone thru several adhesive removers, acetones, strippers, alcohols etc and no avail? I mean it is there and it isn't looking to leave anytime soon.

Anyone have any ideas for this?

Thanks,
Kurt

BobM

Rapid Remover. Spray it on, let it sit for 2 - 3 minutes, scrape off glue with plastic razor blade, spray again and wipe clean.

speedmedia

Rapid Remover. Spray it on, let it sit for 2 - 3 minutes, scrape off glue with plastic razor blade, spray again and wipe clean.

Can you get anything like it at a non sign supply store? We on a deadline and need something quick.

Thanks,
Kurt

Malkin

you already try a citrus based adhesive remover? It can be had at most stores with a good selection of household cleaners.