• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing wide red reflective stripes

RiXaX

I have a fire vehicle with 12" red stripes that run the length of it that need to go away. What's the best way to accomplish this?

RiXaX

I remember reading about something that goes on topically and penetrated the vinyl getting down to the adhesive. Anyone know what that is and where to get it?

SignosaurusRex

I presume that they are standard reflective engineer grade and most likely not with removable adhesive and old.
Your best route for this, considering the size, is most likely a heated pressure washer. Residual adhesive removal will require a considerable amount of "Adhesive
Remover", rags and sweat.
Another option is a good variable speed decal/vinyl eraser. These require a bit of experimenting with to determine the best speed and pressure needed fo
optimal performance.
A "topical" method usually doesn't work very well with old reflective (IMHP)
There are a few other methods and most everyone has their own preferred way of going about it. Anyone new to a job like that should do a little research before
going into attack mode.
Either way you go, it will be a bit labor intensive.

RiXaX

I once bought a vinyl remover that was around a 2 1/2" disc maybe 3/4" wide and it went into an electric drill. Wasn't my dream answer. I remember reading about a tool that cost around $300. I hope to never di enough vinyl removal to justify a tool of that price.

RiXaX

yesterday we removed the stripes from one side, doing it the labor intensive way. Heat guns and scrapers, an inch at a time. Makes you learn how long a truck really is. I tried the pressure washer idea, but 3000 lbs isn't quite enough. I used a heat bar, guns, and once we removed the clear laminate it became do able.

d fleming

Shop rate per man hour, heat. yellowtool plastic scrapers, rapid remover and some shade, lol. It helps if you own a distillery and have a slushie machine.

RiXaX

Shop rate per man hour, heat. yellowtool plastic scrapers, rapid remover and some shade, lol. It helps if you own a distillery and have a slushie machine.
We have scrapers that we made from 1/4" plexi scraps. We heat rolled the handle end and ground and flame polished the cutting tip. They work real well.

signsbydebbie

We use the vinyl Zapper flap style eraser wheel mounted on a Harbor Freight car buffer that looks like a large angle grinder. It is variable speed and goes slow enough to work very well. We also have an air version from Snap-On that I found at a pawn shop. The flapper wheel works better when vinyl is cold and use very low rpm to roll up the vinyl, slower the better. If if heats and starts to smear, move elsewhere for a time. This is the only way to remove vinyl with any age to it. I like Orange Peel for glue cleanup and neutralize it with SprayWay and my hand. Yes we do fire trucks/ambulances.

Mr. Signboy

I presume that they are standard reflective engineer grade and most likely not with removable adhesive and old.
Your best route for this, considering the size, is most likely a heated pressure washer. Residual adhesive removal will require a considerable amount of "Adhesive
Remover", rags and sweat.
Another option is a good variable speed decal/vinyl eraser. These require a bit of experimenting with to determine the best speed and pressure needed fo
optimal performance.
A "topical" method usually doesn't work very well with old reflective (IMHP)
There are a few other methods and most everyone has their own preferred way of going about it. Anyone new to a job like that should do a little research before
going into attack mode.
Either way you go, it will be a bit labor intensive.
I use a heated pressure washer and it works great. You still have to clean glue off after but it’s not bad, if you spray adhesive remover and let it sit, the pressure washer takes it off easily. The only problem is that the pressure washer works too well. If your vehicle has any chips in paint or anything like that the pressure washer will murder it. But if you’re careful, it’s the only way to go.