• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

replacement OEM parts v 3rd party

Forty One

I'm doing a little servicing of my JV33-130 and am currently replacing things like fans, cables etc.
In relation to fans, should I stick with like for like (eg, extractor fans) or can I upgrade for a more silent fan of the same size?
I would assume it wouldnt have any issues. But before I start replacing parts and blowing boards, I thought I would like to get a general census on this.
If you have replaces items like fans etc with other options, what did you get and was it worth it?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We sell OEM and aftermarket parts for those machines. With after market parts you have to be careful because there are all kinds of low quality manufacturers out there especially when it comes to dampers. If you buy from us you can be sure that we've tested the aftermarket parts so you don't have to!

As far as the fans go, it depends on which ones your talking about. The fans that cool the boards are standard computer fans you can get online in most cases. The fans below the platen are meant to act as a vacuum. So while you could put something in of the same voltage, you might not get the same performance which would cause media buckling and head strikes. Might not be worth it for the sake of quietness but also not super dangerous. You just don't want to get tons of head stakes over time.

MikePro

parts are parts, assuming you got the voltages/amps right.
currently have a 120v fan i salvaged from an LED message center display exhausting the cabinet of my $100k CNC router , and another I bought at a MicroCenter for $40... else it was a $300 part from MultiCam.

as far as printer parts, I went 3rd party for pretty much everything I replaced on my jv3 and never had an issue. Ink pumps, ribbon cables, wipers, cleaning solutions....hell, I even started using $10/gallon paper shredder oil instead of the $50 for a thimble from manufacturer to lube my rails.