• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacement Printer

ljwhyte

I am looking to get a new printer for sign making, at present I have the HP latex, what is the most popular printer used in sign making? Especially for matching colours

BigNate

As said before, people are very opinionated toward specific manufacturers or machines. However, there are many ways to put ink on paper, and none of the major manufacturers would still be in business if their boxes do not put ink on paper.... that being said, I have noticed that a major factor that is overlooked a lot of times is what kind of talent for repair and support is there in your area? if you have world class Epson techs as neighbors, I would recommend Epson - if you have world class HP techs nextdoor, then HP - but if you have a machine and the nearest support is days and $$$$$ away, you will be cursing every time anything goes wrong.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
As said before, people are very opinionated toward specific manufacturers or machines. However, there are many ways to put ink on paper, and none of the major manufacturers would still be in business if their boxes do not put ink on paper.... that being said, I have noticed that a major factor that is overlooked a lot of times is what kind of talent for repair and support is there in your area? if you have world class Epson techs as neighbors, I would recommend Epson - if you have world class HP techs nextdoor, then HP - but if you have a machine and the nearest support is days and $$$$$ away, you will be cursing every time anything goes wrong.
Good point, reliability and access to support is a huge consideration.

We bought our Oce Arizona 10 years ago, sight unseen and knowing there weren't any techs anywhere near us and that they would have to fly out to service the machine.

In that 10 years, we've never had to fly out a tech other than to do annual preventative maintenance, and the couple of times it was down I was able to fix it myself with some guidance from remote techs.

I know a lot of parts are user changeable on the HP printers, and Roland has completely locked out any user intervention. Time will tell how our Epson does in this respect since we don't have any actual local "techs".