• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacement Roller for Seal 6100 Ultra

dypinc

This laminator is a perfectly good and operating laminator. At the end of last week on a thermal laminate job on the top heat roller the bonding agent that holds the rubber to the roller failed and is loose and will come up like bubble up when being used.

After looking for a replacement roller or even a parts machine and coming up with nothing, but before I make a final decision about what I am going to do I though I would here ask here. Does anyone know of any source for replacement rollers or have any other solutions other than to remove the roller and send it off for a re-coat. I am leaning on sending it to A-Korn. Any re-coat is going to be a month at least. I am good on using the pull rollers for PSA but I occasionally need heat but can probably do without for a month.

Last edited:

dypinc

GBC - Seal tells me they only stock parts for current models. This should be a warning to any of you considering used Seal or GBC laminators and also new ones as they don't seem to interested in maintaining parts. Some people I talked to weren't very impressed with GBCs customer service.

NateF

I know there are companies out there that will re-cover laminator rollers. It's not exactly cheap, but much cheaper than a new laminator. I know that one is www.jjshort.com I haven't used them yet, but probably need to soon...

dypinc

Yes I am aware of JJ Short. I talked to them as well. I was just hoping I could find a used roller somewhere. Well the roller is out and created so it will be on its way shortly. I guess I can be glad it is the top main (hot) roller so I can use the pull rollers for PSA lamination.

boxerbay

our royal sovereign does the same. just use an exacto or a needle and lance the bubble. once the air comes out and runs perfectly fine.

dypinc

I don't think it is the same issue. How would air get under the roller when it is the bonding agent that has failed and allows the rubber to slip in the roller.

boxerbay

im not sure either. maybe from the heat it is vaporizing the glue and creating the bubble. its like a 4x6 lump. it only shows up when the heat is turned on.

dypinc

Never did this before it failed and did it afterwards even with out heat. It is only one roller that failed, Just one of the heat rollers that was heated most often.

dypinc

Recoated roller is back and installed. A-Korn received it on the May 15th and shipped it back to me on June 1st. They were great to work with. Even looked up the proper crown specifications for the roller. Only issue in the re-coating process was some burring at the end of the shafts that had to be ground out so they would slip back into the bearings.

dypinc

Bad news rubber has separated from the new recoated roller in and a 12 to 18 inch area. Bad enough that is can't be used. I am beginning to wonder about the heat element heating uneven or the sensors not working correctly. I did a big thermal job after getting it back without any problems but today soon (1/2 hour) into a thermal job the rubber came loose from the core like the bonding agent failed on the new recoated roller.