• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing a Rail Bearing on a SC-545ex

Fbermudez

Hi I found this forum doing a search on replacing a rail bearing on a sc-545ex
my question is, do I have to replace all the bearing and the rail since they only will sell me the set
or just replace the bad one which is the one that hold the cutter carriage.
and if I replace all three how difficult is it to take the printer head carriage?
I print mostly shirt transfers and I have started doing banners and other vinyl printed signs so I don't have the funds to get a tech to this for me.
any help would be appreciated.

Fbermudez

unfortunately I ordered one that place on ebay and they sent me a message saying that it would not fit my sc-545ex and gave me a refund. I ordered one from a different place and after getting it a couple of weeks later it did not fit.
and the places in the US will only sell me the set with the rail and the bearings and the places close to me will only sell it if they install it.
I might just bite the bullet and have my local dealer install it, can't win them all.

Fbermudez

Have just been out and checked on 4 printers including rails and bearing on an sc545 and they all run 15mm bearings
Get one from here then https://www.sign-in-china.com/produ...ng_rail_block_ssr15xw1uu_2560ly_21895161.html
the pic of the bearing by itself is the one from my machine
the one that both are together the one on the right is from my machine the left is the one that I received.
the only difference is on the shape of the plastic guide at the front of the bearing
I'll try to swap them out to see if it fits.

Attachments

• 20180620_204715.jpg
    20180620_204715.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 284
  • 20180620_205018.jpg
    20180620_205018.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 227

player

This could be wrong but I remember hearing with Roland printers you have to replace the rail and the bearings, that they are a matched set. Not saying it's true, and if it is that there's no way around it, just thought I would let you know what I was told.

jbyrum

Sorry to revive and old thread but I also need the guide bearing for the cutter and I'm not having munch luck finding just the guide piece. Can I just replace the balls with 15mm bearings or does anyone have a good source for the part?

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
If no one replies back there should be a part number on the bearing. Since it’s the cutter bearing you might be able to disassemble the left side of the machine and slide off the cutting module to look at the bearing part number. Try not to remove the bearing from the rail unless the you have to as the balls may fall out and then you’re down until you get a new bearing. You’ll need to measure the dimensions of the bearing but searching thk linear bearings, the part number and the dims should find it for you online. You do not need to replace the whole set. You can just replace the one bearing

Connoley

Roland recommends replacing both the bearings and the railway bearing as a set, and for good reason. They're designed to work together, and worn rails can damage new bearings in no time. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Bite the bullet, get the whole set, and do it right the first time.

damonCA21

Roland recommends replacing both the bearings and the railway bearing as a set, and for good reason. They're designed to work together, and worn rails can damage new bearings in no time. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Bite the bullet, get the whole set, and do it right the first time.
They probably have after 3 years....

Vassago

Noises usually mean grit has got into the bearing.. You can disassemble them, but do it on a bench with a towel on it.. Stops the balls disappearing instantly.

Just undo the return and the balls will come out. Don't loose any.. Lol

When reassembling use the recommended grease.

Whilst there is plenty of movement, there's not much pressure so wear isn't so much as a concern. Just dirt getting stuck to the rail and then getting into the bearing

Fbermudez

They probably have after 3 years....
I even forgot about this post, I ended up replacing just the machine. I didn't want to spend over 1k on the roland bearing and rail kit and the bearings that I was ordering from overseas were never right so I made the swithch to latex. This machine was already old three years ago and did not want to invest more money into it.

netsol

I LOVE MY sc545-ex, but, i was wondering who would spend that much TIME AND MONEY on a 15(?) year old machine
you made the right decision

netsol

my sc545 will serve us as a second machine, backing up the Mutoh vj1617h doing the occasional print & cut job
i know that occasionally the mutoh (MY machine and the company in general) have a temperament like my wife on a bad day so the roland will still be an important resource.