• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing pumps and dampers

speedmedia

Hello,
Looking to get some feedback on some maintenance for my Mimaki JV3. I need to replace the pumps and damper as I have had this thing for about 2 years and everything is original. I might as well replace the capping station as well.

I got a quote from my local vendor to replace the damper and pumps and it was $1,000. Is this in the ball park? Should I try to replace this stuff myself?

If anyone has any sort of directions or anything for replacing the dampers and pumps can you please post?

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media

particleman

Kurt, I recommend using the search feature in this forum, damper and pump replacement has been covered many times I believe.

Pump replacement is very simple, remove a cover that exposes the two pumps, remove a screw securing the pump and two hoses. That is literally it. It is really something you should know how to do anyway.

Dampers are a little more involved, but not that difficult once you have done it. Most often you will need a large syringe to suck the ink back into the new damper. That is probably the only tool you need that you won't otherwise have on hand.

Changing a pump is hard to screw up/damage something, but changing dampers you could run into a stripped screw (I have on more than one mimaki), the ribbon cables are fragile and often will need to be pulled out to make room, worse case you mess one up and need another set. Drip ink on something, slider board is very close by, heads have ink covers on them so not a real good chance of getting ink on them. Stems coming out of the heads could break? Never broken one, but always make sure you push straight down on the damper to reinsert it. Membranes are fragile on the dampers, although I've never run into a situation of damaging them.

I would never pay $1,000 to have that done considering the cost of those parts are probably under $100. On the other hand if you have no idea what you are doing it would be cheaper (and quicker) than messing up something. I would estimate 2 hours or less to do that job.

speedmedia

Kurt, I recommend using the search feature in this forum, damper and pump replacement has been covered many times I believe.

Pump replacement is very simple, remove a cover that exposes the two pumps, remove a screw securing the pump and two hoses. That is literally it. It is really something you should know how to do anyway.

Dampers are a little more involved, but not that difficult once you have done it. Most often you will need a large syringe to suck the ink back into the new damper. That is probably the only tool you need that you won't otherwise have on hand.

Changing a pump is hard to screw up/damage something, but changing dampers you could run into a stripped screw (I have on more than one mimaki), the ribbon cables are fragile and often will need to be pulled out to make room, worse case you mess one up and need another set. Drip ink on something, slider board is very close by, heads have ink covers on them so not a real good chance of getting ink on them. Stems coming out of the heads could break? Never broken one, but always make sure you push straight down on the damper to reinsert it. Membranes are fragile on the dampers, although I've never run into a situation of damaging them.

I would never pay $1,000 to have that done considering the cost of those parts are probably under $100. On the other hand if you have no idea what you are doing it would be cheaper (and quicker) than messing up something. I would estimate 2 hours or less to do that job.

Thanks for the reply. I did do a search and didn't find much in way of information that was helpful.

I think I might just go ahead and order the parts and try it myself, why not eh? Sounds like it might be pretty simple.

Just was looking more for a set of instructions or details if anyone has anything.

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media

particleman

kurt, there is a pdf service manual floating around with images. I know it is posted on the mimaki user group on yahoo. The head replacement manual has the damper replacement procedure in it.

dmrcleveland

Pumps etc.

Kurt,

You can do it if you have any mechanical skill. I've done it quite a few times. I've had a JV3 for over three years. I HIGHLY recommend not only shutting the power off but also pull the plug as the machine will attempt to return the heads back to the home capping position even though you have turned off the machine. Also, when wiggling the dampers out, you don't want to fry your head by pulling a ribbon cable out.

Good luck!

Dave

speedmedia

Thanks guys for the input. I will try to search for the manual to replace the pumps and dampers.

If anyone that happens to read this has the manual or directions please post if you would.

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media

particleman

Kurt,

You can do it if you have any mechanical skill. I've done it quite a few times. I've had a JV3 for over three years. I HIGHLY recommend not only shutting the power off but also pull the plug as the machine will attempt to return the heads back to the home capping position even though you have turned off the machine. Also, when wiggling the dampers out, you don't want to fry your head by pulling a ribbon cable out.

Good luck!

Dave

yes ditto on pulling the plug.

Also here was another thread I posted in about changing dampers, has some other helpful info

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40255