• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing Roland Dx4 Printhead On Sp-540v?

DrumSTW3

More than likely, it is a problem with the cable. Turn everything off, disconnect the cable, and lay it flat. make sure there arent any crimps in the cable near the contacts. visually inspect for corrosion, or ink on the contacts. reinstall the cables, making sure that there is a space between the cables.

Charly L

So I test the fuses. F3 is definitely gone. Befote i try & solder it in I Try a 3.15 am 250v Glass fuse and have someone hold it in place via a console fuse holder and have wires touching the fuse soldering points on the board. The printer shuts off a few seconds after I turn it on. Everytime. Fuse doesn't fry though. Next steps anyone. I also disconnected the heads & wrap the wires that attach to the heads in card stock to make sure it's not the heads. Any thoughts? This is the F3 on the head board for a SC-540.

Last edited:

Charly L

According to Macmedia if the printer turns off it may be the main board. So next i'm checking transistors on head board. Any suggestions on where to go next? Thinking of sending both boards to macmedia.

phototec

Well, GOOD NEWS!

I finally got around to replacing Roland Dx4 Printhead On SP-540v, and the CYAN overspray is gone.

I tried many other different fixes to get rid of the overspray without success, the head replacement was the only fix.

Purchased the printer new in 2010 and this was the first head replacement ever, purchased a new OEM print head from Solvent Inkjet for $735 with free overnight shipping, it came with two new dampers and O-rings (yes head rank numbers printed right on the print head). This was my first tine doing it so It took me a few hours to do the replacement and the alignment all per the Service Manual, but I know it will go much faster on the other head when it needs replacing.

I read about many horror stories about people doing it themselves, getting ink on the print head board and blowing fuses, etc. However I am a very meticulous person and took my time and covered the board with a plastic zip-lock bag with a paper towel on top just in case, also placed each damper in a zip-lock bag as they were removed, I marked each ribbon cable so they would go back on the correct head.

All my patients and preparation paid off BIG, as soon as I finished the process the printer is working as NEW, and I saved a bunch of money doing it myself, the nearest tech is over an hour away, and a friend who has the same printer had a Roland tech replace his head and the tech broke his manifold in the process which cost him even more $.

Now, I will let Charly L (the thread pirate), continue on.......

Charly L

My apologies Phototec, I posted a few threads and didn'the realize this was yours. I'm glad you head great success with your printer. I think my problem was that I installed a head that I was unsure of and may gave been fried.

I will create a new thread. :)

crgrove

It won't use 440ml of each color I would say it filled up my ink bottle about a third to half of the way.
This is interesting. The Service Manual instructs to do a "Pump Up" at the beginning. However, my tech friend, who gave me tips about all of this, told me not to do a Pump Up as it was not at all necessary and it just wastes a lot of ink. I also watched a youtube video from "Digiprint Supplies" (where I happened to buy the head) where Pump Up was not done.
AFTER installing, I simply used a syringe, GENTLY, on the captop tube to bring the ink to the head.
That worked great, with no wasting of ink!
So, I'm not sure why the service manual would suggest a Pump Up. Maybe just to sell more ink?? lol

IvanDD

How do i get the caps to go down? XC-540. I dont have a (cap&wiper ctrl) option in the service menu.

worse case scenerio I guess I could start a limit initialization test and thatll drop the cap tops, and then just turn the machine off?

Last edited: