• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Resizing JPGs for large prints

OldPaint

photoshop is crazy.......i have a 16 megapixel camera.......most shots i take are at full 16 megapixel. when i open these photos on COREL PHOTOPAINT and look at RESIZE......... and see how it looks there.
4592 x 3468 in photopaint converts to 63.77 INCHES X 47.83 INCHES.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Lots of good info posted in this thread.
I've found that with canvas prints due to the texture of the paper; a much poorer quality photo than you think will turn out excellent.
100-150dpi is great, 75 ppi will be fine, even printed some at around 50ppi before and they looked surprisingly good.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Am I correct in thinking that this is only true if one is able to save from a Raw or PSD file? I can't see being able to improve upon a JPG just by saving it as a TIF. (?)

You are dealing with a first generation JPG straight out of your camera. It has a minimum of lost quality due to the lossy compression of the JPG format. The thing to keep in mind here is that you should never resave it as JPG on your computer. Always choose a different format which uses no compression or a lossless form of compression. As a digital art publisher, I can tell you that we master all our raster files in Photoshop PSD format to avoid any loss of quality.

Colin

You are dealing with a first generation JPG straight out of your camera. It has a minimum of lost quality due to the lossy compression of the JPG format. The thing to keep in mind here is that you should never resave it as JPG on your computer. Always choose a different format which uses no compression or a lossless form of compression. As a digital art publisher, I can tell you that we master all our raster files in Photoshop PSD format to avoid any loss of quality.

Yes, I'm aware of the lossy factor. I always keep a master file which then gets cropped for various uses like Plasma TV display, smartphone, digital picture display, web, each with their own particular size and aspect ratio.

Some of my older images are JPGs, but I now shoot Raw, so the image files have not been pre-cooked into the JPG format. I generally save them as a master PSD file after all desired editing & treatment is done, then JPG after that for particular purposes, as described above.

BTW, for anyone into photography, the NIK suite is absolutely incredible. To everyone's surprise, the recently got bought by Google.