• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reverse print on clear, laminate with white then cut. But how?

PrintItBig

Hi,

We want to reverse print some window graphics on clear vinyl, laminate with white vinyl and then have our Summa cutter cut them out. I’m sure this is possible but not sure of the best method to get the cutter to be able to access the dots that are now hidden under the white vinyl.

Do we need to cut away a portion of the white vinyl that is covering the marks?

Or is there some other way?

Thanks.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
As mentioned, manually creating/moving your marks outside your white material is probably the simplest width. Or just create a bounding box outside your print area so your marks move out.

When we've done this on our Rolands I would just mask off the 4 targets but Summa uses more so that wouldn't be much fun.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
As mentioned, manually creating/moving your marks outside your white material is probably the simplest width. Or just create a bounding box outside your print area so your marks move out.

When we've done this on our Rolands I would just mask off the 4 targets but Summa uses more so that wouldn't be much fun.
You can reduce the amount of marks for Summa as well (in onyx for example) in projects like these. May not be as accurate but if it's easier and one doesn't mind..

White Haus

Not a Newbie
You can reduce the amount of marks for Summa as well (in onyx for example) in projects like these. May not be as accurate but if it's easier and one doesn't mind..

Interesting, I never thought of this. Where would these settings be changed? Can all marks be edited/changed? Reason I ask, when we print onyx/summa barcodes on our flatbed, it always wants to put them on the top and bottom, which wastes material. I've been manually creating marks with Summa plugin which works, but I'm curious to see if I can somehow change that in Onyx.

Thanks.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Interesting, I never thought of this. Where would these settings be changed? Can all marks be edited/changed? Reason I ask, when we print onyx/summa barcodes on our flatbed, it always wants to put them on the top and bottom, which wastes material. I've been manually creating marks with Summa plugin which works, but I'm curious to see if I can somehow change that in Onyx.

Thanks.
Open up the RIP. Go to the top left dropdown menu (can't remember the name) -> Cutter settings -> Select your cutter and Configure -> You can disable barcode and set the distance between the marks.
That's all you can do.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Open up the RIP. Go to the top left dropdown menu (can't remember the name) -> Cutter settings -> Select your cutter and Configure -> You can disable barcode and set the distance between the marks.
That's all you can do.

Thanks, will have a look!

MI Bearcat

Do you have the flat bed applicator? We just cut the white vinyl to go inside the marks and apply with the flat bed applicator so the white vinyl is not covering up the registration marks

RICHARD SIMMONS

Hi,

We want to reverse print some window graphics on clear vinyl, laminate with white vinyl and then have our Summa cutter cut them out. I’m sure this is possible but not sure of the best method to get the cutter to be able to access the dots that are now hidden under the white vinyl.

Do we need to cut away a portion of the white vinyl that is covering the marks?

Or is there some other way?

Thanks.
Hi ! What I do is cut 3 mm little squares of black vinyl and place them over the ones printed. You can put a light under the print, so you can see the square printed. Then, the Summa will see and read the squares. Good Luck !!

Superior_Adam

you can cover the registration marks with a small piece of masking tape. After you apply the white carefully cut the white vinyl where the masking is and remove the tape which will expose the registration marks. Another method would be apply black vinyl where the dots are over the white. I find it is easier to tape under with masking.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We would run as Mirror print....white ink backup and then go to our Graphtec or Colex. Much easier process. Doing full windows or such....we print mirror than lam with white vinyl and trim to image.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Simply print mirror on clear, with a border about 1" around your image. Then when you print, the reg marks are well far way from the print. Cut your backing white vinyl the same size as the border box you printed and laminate it. Your reg marks are clear and ready for the plotter.

Attachments

• IMAGE.jpg
    IMAGE.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 116

IsItFasst

I normally just create a white/clear box about 4 inches tall above and below what I am printing for the machine to skip over that area. That gives you plenty of room to apply the white just over the print. Wastes a little bit of material but I found it too time consuming and or error prone to try and remove the vinyl over the crop marks.