• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Review of the Roland LG-640

Goatshaver

Yikes. This and the lack of knowledge of the machine from the salesman is what made me decide against getting a Roland UV machine. Hope for y'all sake they fix this issue soon.

BVG

Small update on our new machine - 4th day of having a tech here, Roland's tech came out to swap out the head for a new one. Exact same result as the previous head with orange missing completely and the same missing nozzles on the red channel.

Roland tech also realised that the machine has been setup incorrectly - laying white on top of CMYK rather than the other way around. Another layer of things to fix and correct...

SlikGRFX

Small update on our new machine - 4th day of having a tech here, Roland's tech came out to swap out the head for a new one. Exact same result as the previous head with orange missing completely and the same missing nozzles on the red channel.

Roland tech also realised that the machine has been setup incorrectly - laying white on top of CMYK rather than the other way around. Another layer of things to fix and correct...
Surely the print order is set in the rip? We regularly print white on top of cmyk by choice.

BVG

Surely the print order is set in the rip? We regularly print white on top of cmyk by choice.
Heads are staggered, so the order that the heads are physically in determines whether you can print white over/under without the need to pullback the media.

Having them in the wrong order means halving the print speed as it has to feed the media back for the second pass.

SlikGRFX

Heads are staggered, so the order that the heads are physically in determines whether you can print white over/under without the need to pullback the media.

Having them in the wrong order means halving the print speed as it has to feed the media back for the second pass.
Ah ok. Interesting. We are running an LG-640 with a single 8 color head.

Did you check your ink expiry dates for red and orange? We lost red almost completely (only a few nozzles remaining) then switched to new ink, renewed ink and the head came back to perfect condition.

BVG

Ah ok. Interesting. We are running an LG-640 with a single 8 color head.

Did you check your ink expiry dates for red and orange? We lost red almost completely (only a few nozzles remaining) then switched to new ink, renewed ink and the head came back to perfect condition.
Are you sure? The LG series has 2 staggered heads.

BVG

Ahhh yeah that makes sense haha.
MG is running the same platform as the old VS solvent series (including Epson head) whereas the LG is Ricoh heads from memory.

SlikGRFX

It does feel like a museum piece compared to our other machines. We considered the LG but I’ve learnt to never buy the first version of anything. Our old SG and VS printers were workhorses.