• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RF-640 Main Board bad?

evie

I have a Roland RF-640, it is 2-years old, and out of warranty for 7 weeks. When printing, it stops in the middle of the job, and goes back to the media size screen. It won't print a test print either, just moves like it is printing. I changed the bios battery, checked the fuses, updated the firmware, and reset the machine. Now when I send a job, the head moves, but no ink comes out. I was told that it is probably the mainboard. Is it normal to have the mainboard go out so soon? Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'm not sure how that specific machine is setup but it sounds like a blown head fuse. Normally Rolands have a separate head board with fuses but on some models the fuse is on the main board. The fact that the machine was printing and then stopped being able to print after you changed the battery etc. says to me that you worked with the printer still plugged in or not properly discharged which is how the fuses get popped most of the time.

The fact that the machine was restarting in the middle of a print tells me that there is a possibility that the main board CPU is fried or the memory is faulty. It is extremely rare for a 1 year old board, with no external forces acting on it, to go bad but never outside the realm of possibilities.

I have a Roland RF-640, it is 2-years old, and out of warranty for 7 weeks. When printing, it stops in the middle of the job, and goes back to the media size screen. It won't print a test print either, just moves like it is printing. I changed the bios battery, checked the fuses, updated the firmware, and reset the machine. Now when I send a job, the head moves, but no ink comes out. I was told that it is probably the mainboard. Is it normal to have the mainboard go out so soon? Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Hey Evie,

Based on the description, there's not doubt, it's time for you to contact your regional Roland dealer to discuss the action plan for this repair. They have the experience and skills to help, and they can order parts for the repair.

Take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn