• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RFQ/New Job Specs Checklist

gnubler

I need to come up with a checklist for all RFQ inquiries to make sure I get all the information I need before hanging up the phone or ending a meeting in person. Size, colors, quantity, where is it going, how long does it need to last, budget, artwork requirements, am I installing, etc. Sometimes I get calls that begin with "I need a sign but don't know what I want". What's your line of questioning to cover all the bases?

Do you have an estimate form you fill out, engage in a mental checklist, or what? On site visits, or if a customer brings a vehicle to me that needs graphics or lettering, I take pictures of all the application areas and measure each area so I can figure out the dimensions for pricing.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We've had a number of different versions of this over the years, and I'm constantly updating our quote sheets to include more/less information.

I've attached a couple of versions we've used. I would still like to improve it further but for now we're using the "current" file.

Feel free to use/adapt as you like.

Edited to add: I've also started working on how to treat new requests (orders or RFQ's) and what the different categories are. I've basically boiled it down to 4 different scenarios:

-New request from new customer
-Repeat request from new customer (From referrals)
-New request from existing customer
-Repeat request from existing customer

Somewhere I have all the steps documented for each process, but did come across the "new request scenarios" pdf which I've attached.

As you can tell this is something I'm interested in and constantly trying to improve.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Quote sheet_current.pdf
    260 KB · Views: 306
  • Quote worksheet.pdf
    161.9 KB · Views: 248
  • New Request Scenarios.pdf
    39 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

GB2

Old Member
It's ironic how whenever I have some issue that I'm trying to work out, someone on Signs101 will just happen to ask the very same questions at the same time. After many years of contemplating a major change in how we do business, I'm finally committed to acting on it. One of the first things is developing a Survey Sheet / Work Order / Quote Sheet / RFQ / Spec Sheet or whatever you want to call it. You bring up a good first point, no matter how much technology there is in the world most people will probably always have a need for a good pencil and paper sheet of some type. Beyond that, there's no reason it can't be mirrored in a computer format so you can have the benefit of both systems. A program such as FileMaker Pro can do just that and here is where I hope Color Crest will jump in and take part in that conversation.

As far as the paper version goes, do you try to have one sheet that does it all or do you have multiple sheets for different types of work. If you are a focused shop that only does certain type of work then one sheet would probably do it for you but if you are spread across many different types of work then a multi sheet system is probably the best. We are a very diverse shop for example, one day I will be doing RFQ Surveys for national sign shops where I will visit a site and need lots of detailed info on building size, electrical locations, zoning issues, etc. Another day I'll visit a new customer where they want new signs on their building, graphics on their car, business cards and shirts and hats for their employees. Then other days we are in the shop building graphic and architectural elements for a new brewery / restaurant / bar interior or wrapping a fleet of vehicles. Some days we will even be doing an occasional "Happy Birthday Grandma!" banner. How do you handle all that and not miss any initial detail, keep accurate production notes and document accurate materials, colors, paints, etc. used and come up with consistent pricing.

I think the best way to start is with an outline of what type of work you are doing today, you can always add, subtract or make changes in the future. Then take each type and break it down in an outline or list form as to what information you would like for each type. Then you can format it into consistent sheets for each.

rjssigns

After all these years I asked my wife to build me a spread sheet in Excel. Booking lots of boats this year and there is no way to keep track with paper notes and a dry erase board. She built a User Form for me which so far is working well. It has fields for data pertinent to the job along with an area for notes and odd material specs, fonts etc...

Excel is a crazy powerful tool and my User Form doesn't begin to tap its capabilities. My wife was rattling off all kinds of things she could set up and automate. Makes my head spin.

GB2

Old Member
Excel is a great program and it seems to be a fine way to create specific sheets for specific tasks but probably not the final answer for a more complete solution. I'd like to see what kind of a sheet you have for starters in your Excel.

Stacey K

I like making signs
We've had a number of different versions of this over the years, and I'm constantly updating our quote sheets to include more/less information.

I've attached a couple of versions we've used. I would still like to improve it further but for now we're using the "current" file.

Feel free to use/adapt as you like.

Edited to add: I've also started working on how to treat new requests (orders or RFQ's) and what the different categories are. I've basically boiled it down to 4 different scenarios:

-New request from new customer
-Repeat request from new customer (From referrals)
-New request from existing customer
-Repeat request from existing customer

Somewhere I have all the steps documented for each process, but did come across the "new request scenarios" pdf which I've attached.

As you can tell this is something I'm interested in and constantly trying to improve.

Hope this helps.
These are great, thank you!

gnubler

Agreed. Thanks, White Haus! Those are all the things bouncing around in my head that need to be made into a checklist so I don't sound like a dumbass.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I need to come up with a checklist for all RFQ inquiries to make sure I get all the information I need before hanging up the phone or ending a meeting in person.
As others have earlier mentioned some specific questions to ask, keep in mind your main goal is to win or capture the job.

To ask “all” the right questions might be a tall order without long-lived experience or a good software solution.

However, as far as questions, try to create the list as if you are hiring a temporary worker to field all calls and then quote. It’s likely what you’ll want and need eventually.

More later, time permitting.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
As others have earlier mentioned some specific questions to ask, keep in mind your main goal is to win or capture the job.

To ask “all” the right questions might be a tall order without long-lived experience or a good software solution.

However, as far as questions, try to create the list as if you are hiring a temporary worker to field all calls and then quote. It’s likely what you’ll want and need eventually.

More later, time permitting.

Good post. Always a good idea to keep the end goal in mind, it's easy to get carried away and have too much detail.

I've noticed there are always fields that get ignored when we/I fill out these forms - this will usually be an indication that it needs to be revised or that we should omit some of the items.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
These are great, thank you!

Agreed. Thanks, White Haus! Those are all the things bouncing around in my head that need to be made into a checklist so I don't sound like a dumbass.

You're welcome! Happy to help. I've always been a bit obsessed with these things and implementing systems and I hope it helps you guys and gals with working towards what you're looking for.

Also wanted to share our editable PDF order docket - see attached. I'll usually save a jpg of the job proof/details and just insert it in the blank area. Works pretty good for the most part, and we save a template w/ all customer info already entered for our main customers, so you just have to input the job details. Some of the dropdown options need some updating but you can still enter custom info.

Feel free to use/edit as you wish!

Attachments

• Order docket_v2.pdf
    183.1 KB · Views: 286

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Just letting those who are using Acrobat forms know, Acrobat can export both their fields AND data to a simple text file which FileMaker recognizes in order to create or merge with a database.

I’ve done that with the PDF from White Haus but reimagined the layout and objects as an example of what can be done. Not exactly an ideal hardcopy form nor an ideal computer form, but close.

So, save those forms to possibly transfer data in the future.

ReworkedForm.jpg

GB2

Old Member
ColorCrest......I'm curious, in your excellent example, what FM classification are each of those Line Items? I think FileMaker is the perfect platform for creating anything from a simple work order to a full management system for any type of sign business. I used to develop systems in FileMaker 3 a long time ago and I haven't had the time or opportunity to keep up with it so it's frustrating that I know what can be done but I would have to start from the beginning again to do it. I did purchase a copy of FM12 a short time ago in the hope that I can start there to develop something. I think it's brilliant how you can whip up these examples so quickly with such ease. I also have great admiration for Gene at Firesprint for his perseverance to learn this software and develop a complete system to run a major company on his own, and now he is creating his new video tutorial series, amazing.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
gnubler On your checklist, consider asking "What is most important to you about this sign project?" After they give you "top-of-mind" answers, ask, "Is there anything else?" Gently keep up the exploring/discovery. At some point you will get down to bedrock. That is where you, as a professional sign maker, can really be your best. Once you fully understand that "bedrock," you can open helpful options that will guide you client to better succeed with their project. Or, simply affirm that they have the best. It gives you the opportunity to overdeliver.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
what FM classification are each of those Line Items?
I think you’re asking about “comp” which are the components which a product is comprised of. The stack may be much longer than the 3 or 4 shown in the example.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Just letting those who are using Acrobat forms know, Acrobat can export both their fields AND data to a simple text file which FileMaker recognizes in order to create or merge with a database.

I’ve done that with the PDF from White Haus but reimagined the layout and objects as an example of what can be done. Not exactly an ideal hardcopy form nor an ideal computer form, but close.

So, save those forms to possibly transfer data in the future.
ColorCrest Thanks for this, I must have missed it when you posted it originally. I spent a few hours over the weekend playing around with Filemaker and am slowly but surely getting comfortable with it. If you don't mind I might send you a PM with a couple specific questions at some point.