• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Right way for printing black and white picture?

poligrafika

Hi
I have HP 5500 on UV ink working with Onyx 10.
I print most of time on Canvas,Glossy and poster paper.
I have trouble to figure what is the best way for printing Black and White picture.
Does picture has to be already in Grayscale and on RIP to chose normal CMYK printing or
picture to be CMYK and in RIP to chose Grayscale printing or picture to be Grayscale and on RIP to chose Grayscale printing.
When i try Onyx sample picture that has inside color and grayscale, printing is perfect on color printing, but when i send grayscale picture on color printing, picture is like green.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Its your colour profile inside onyx.
If your image is black and white already either in CMYK or RGB, the rip will convert it to a colour profile. If that colour profile uses low GCR it will use a lot more CMY instead of K so if the profile is not accurate it can have a colour cast like green in your case. Only way around that is to try and print with ALL ICC Profiles Off and hopefully it will print with K only. That's your only way.

The other way is to get someone to calibrate your printer or buy a spectrophotometer and calibrate it yourself.

Last edited:

poligrafika

I have calibrator and i have make calibration.Color printing is perfect, problem is black and white picture.
And i'm from Bitola,Macedonia

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I have calibrator and i have make calibration.Color printing is perfect, problem is black and white picture.
And i'm from Bitola,Macedonia

Edit your icc profile in media manager and go max GCR. that will use more black ink.

We're from Prilep.

Johnny Best

I prepare my photos in Photoshop and instead of converting to black and white I run the Saturation slider all the way to the left. Then save it as a .tiff and print it just as you would a regular colored photo, that should help eliminate the green look.

• Agree
Reactions: bob

bpp

I sometimes have images in full color that the customer wants in b&w. What's the correct way to do this? I don't see an option in onyx to print grayscale. What I do now is hit print from the document and choose onyx as the printer then choose grayscale, but then I have to create the paper size and the whole process doesn't feel the correct way.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I sometimes have images in full color that the customer wants in b&w. What's the correct way to do this? I don't see an option in onyx to print grayscale. What I do now is hit print from the document and choose onyx as the printer then choose grayscale, but then I have to create the paper size and the whole process doesn't feel the correct way.
Its in the output options. But it might still be best to do it beforehand.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Printing grayscale is always problematic. That would be because no matter what shade of gray you're printing it will be rendered in CMYK, in a most often futile attempt to make a non-color output out of colors. True believing coloristas will massage profiles endlessly in order to achieve a passable grayscale. Others, who have a life, just want to print the thing. Since you're trying to make non-color out of colors, you're doomed to failure so just do the best you can with whatever works for you and your tackle. I've found that adding just the tiniest, really tiny, amount of sepia tint often can get in front of the greens and magentas that like to appear in grayscale output. And always desaturate your image before sending it off to the RIP.

Kbrecken

try this, in PS using a grayscale image, select all, copy and create new document, paste the gs image into each of the individual CMYK channels, open curves and apply this .acv file, RIP and print With ICC OFF,

it's sort of like converting to from GS to CMYK using Heavy GCR, but this handles the highlight and midtones better, as the image is dominated with Black and the CMY, because they are all kicked back it has no choice but to print Nuetral, the CMY only provide support and richness in the midtones and shadows.

Attachments

• Curves_Zipped.zip
    111.2 KB · Views: 65

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Printing grayscale is always problematic.
Color printers of most any type are usually calibrated to produce neutral grays as their initial basis of color balance. Not to mention cameras, scanners, monitors, etc.