• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RIP Control Panel

WildWestDesigns

This was a long time coming, so I'm not surprised. Last time that I messed with my dad's Win 10, I actually had to use PowerShell to get right click Control Panel back on the Start button.

I for sure appreciated the UX/Ui (which changes from one person to the next) with the old Control Panel, but alas it's neither here nor there for me on a day to day basis. Just thought I would mention this for people that still try to gain access to the old Control Panel, those days are numbered.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
That really sucks. I hate the whole Win 10 app approach. Try using Classic Shell. Gives you a Win 7 interface. Hopefully it will still work...

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Yep, as you get older the changes get more difficult. One year Corel went from colored icons to all greyscale icons. I relied on the quick shape color cues to distinguish things and it threw me for a loop.

In Windows 10 I use Stardock Start 10 to get around most of the changes. I also like Fences for organizing my icons on the screen.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    738 KB · Views: 142

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
for better or worse, im sure there's good reasons behind it all. technology needs to progress and not live in the past either

WildWestDesigns

Try using Classic Shell. Gives you a Win 7 interface. Hopefully it will still work...

I use Plasma, gives me any kind of interface that I want.

In all honesty, I didn't have a problem with default 8.1 and in fact, don't mind the UI in Win 10, I even have my main Plasma rig looking somewhat like Win 10.

Yep, as you get older the changes get more difficult.

Change in of itself isn't really the problem that I have. If I can survive radically going from one platform to another (and one with a far smaller user base) and that includes the majority of my workflow, change isn't so much the issue.

The lack of apparent reason (from a user base perspective) that's the type of change that I don't like. I had no problem with the lack of a start menu in Win 8 (in fact, I never got Classic Shell for that OS), if I can survive Gnome, I can survive default 8.1

It's not so much change, it's change just to change. Unless there is a roadmap that just isn't known (which very well could be the case).

After all, Apple started what seemed just like straight ports of iOS apps to OSX and they looked horrid. Didn't have the same standard. Now, their desktops/laptops are going more the way of iOS it seems (at least certain models for the time being).

Attachments

• Plasma.png
    Plasma.png
    507 KB · Views: 140

unclebun

Ugh. It's so much easier to find what you want in Control Panel. And often the tools in Settings won't actually do it, and you have to resort to Control Panel to actually make the change happen.