• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RIP questions re: importing many files and print/cut workflow

Alamo

I am still a newbie trying to improve our workflow and trying to figure out how to make it happen. I think it's easiest to explain by an example. Monday morning I come in to say 50 online orders, say all with 50 different skus. Each sku matches a filename of the job including size, and finishing options our foam board print needs. I am trying to figure out how to:

1. Easily import my Excel list of 50 skus (again the skus have matching filenames already sized and ready to go) but to upload this list so that all the files will automatically upload, without having to manually add each one, with "smart" automatic nesting ( I say "smart" because Onyx is currently not smart for us, it wastes space on every board)

2. Print this data (sku) on the very outer say 3/16" edge of the print, that will later get covered up by finishing, so we don't have to hand write on each one after cutting what the sku data is.

3. Send board to cutter

We're currently using Onyx Thrive and I've reached out to their support but it seems like I'm making up what I'm trying to do but I know it's possible because I've seen it done, just not sure how. Not sure if it matters but it's a Vanguard Flatbed and Colex Cutter.

Thanks much in advance for any input!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
If we just stay in the Onyx RIP, you need a script or something else to drop all your needed images into the hotfolder with correctly set up quickset.
Then you can set the output to fill based or something. I think that's as automatic as Onyx (RIP) will get.

However if you move into more advanced stuff like Tilia Griffin (Onyx Trufit, Caldera Primecenter etc) you get more options how to prepare your files. Also shape nesting etc.

greysquirrel

so are you looking for your sku to print with the appropriate file? you would need to save sky as csv and use illustrator to merge "variable data" with your image files. You can create a batch auction to "save as" after the merge and then grab all of your new "pdf if that is final format" drop them into your quickset and onyx would process automatically.

ikarasu

Could you not do a variable import in illustrator?

Your list of excel files links to the sku + filename. Illustrator batch file to automatically import the file, resize artboard, then Save it to a different folder, or a quickset folder.

Quickset folder then imports the file, and it's setup to print the label like you want as well as add the cut data for your machine.

A little bit of setup work to begin with, but then it's a matter of importing the CSV, hitting batch and that's it.

It doesn't solve onyx nesting from wasting space.. but unless you're trying to do true nesting onyx nesting should be fine?

I had a guy who ordered 400 charicture stickers a month and I had to print cut them on-top of ship them out. Batch importing to illustrator illustrator to match the print with an address label automatrd 90% of the process. Sounds similar to what you're doing, I'd do a bit of research on illustrator variable data

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you are handy with Python it would be a pretty straight forward script to run through a CSV file of file names and copy those files into a hot folder. Won't help with the nesting but might be something to look into.