• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Software Help RIP Recommendations

Johan Backman

Hi all. We have just bought a Mimaki TXF150-75 DTF printer and a Jwei CB03ii flatbed cutter. Since before we are running a Canon Colorado 1650 and an Oce Arizona 1240GT with Onyx Thrive. We have two Summa roll cutters, an S2 140 and an S1 T160.

Speaking to our supplier of Onyx, to be able to run the flatbed cutter and the Mimaki in addition to what we already use we have to buy upgrades for $5000! Seems steep. Even just adding the flatbed cutter option is $2000.

Does anyone know of any RIP that can handle all these machines without breaking the bank?
We would be fine to continue to use the proprietary RIP for the Mimaki, but would love support for the flatbed cutter for the other printers.

At the moment we have to create the registration marks for the flatbed cutter in Illustrator before we print and would love to streamline the process, and add the possibility of qr code scanning for the cut job.

Any suggestions what to look into?

Cheers!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
All the good ones cost money. At the end of the day those companies have to make some $$$ as well.

Onyx has a -$500 promo running until end of the year... but I guess that doesn't matter if you already ruled that $4500 out.

Johan Backman

All the good ones cost money. At the end of the day those companies have to make some $$$ as well.

Onyx has a -$500 promo running until end of the year... but I guess that doesn't matter if you already ruled that $4500 out.
Obviously I know that. We have already paid $2500 for Onyx when we got the printers. I just think another £2000 to add the ability to run a flatbed cutter (which in all honesty is no different to roll cutters in that it only has to add registration marks and a barcode to the print) is a bit over the top.

What also bugs me is that an Onyx Go subscription at $100 a month would be perfectly fine with us (and making them money), but that wont allow flatbed cutting either, nor the ability to add a third printer.

We're happy to pay money for a good product, but I think it has to be within reason.

I'ven been looking at Caldera but can't really get my head around their pricing structure. What I can gather we need both a grand RIP and grand Cut Server add-on to run our machinery, so we're probably looking at around $10000 there.
We've also used SAI Flexi before when we had two Epson SC80600. But they dont support our current machines.
Before that we had CAD Links Digital Factory, but same there...

balstestrat

Problem Solver
3rd option is PrintFactory, take a look at that. But I think it might be the most expensive of them all with your hardware.

I quickly calculated that Caldera would cost you $6800 without the Mimaki (it's not on the supported list). They have "GrandRIP+ Enterprise" which I think is the best option for you + driver for 1650.
Caldera might give some discount if you trade-in the Onyx so let's say $6000.
And also this is without the "CalderaCare" that they love to sell on top so something like $2000 a year if you wish....

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
That's quite standard with a any rip.
Each printer requires a licence as you need more RIP engines.
The RIP engines are adobe, so adobe licences them out to Onyx and Onyx licences them out to the customer.

Similar with the flatbed cutrer licence.
Not everyone wants or needs it so it's not included in the package. Keeping the entry cost into the RIP cheaper.

If Onyx gave the customer all licences available, the software would cost something like 40-60k.

Brian Tickenoff

I may be in the minority, but I’d steer away from Caldera. The interface is clunky and if we wanted to upgrade from our older version, we’d be looking at almost $6k. No thanks.
Licensing fees are pricy but those are usually set by the device manufacturer so there’s not a lot of wiggle room for the rip supplier there.

yannb

Hi all. We have just bought a Mimaki TXF150-75 DTF printer and a Jwei CB03ii flatbed cutter. Since before we are running a Canon Colorado 1650 and an Oce Arizona 1240GT with Onyx Thrive. We have two Summa roll cutters, an S2 140 and an S1 T160.

Speaking to our supplier of Onyx, to be able to run the flatbed cutter and the Mimaki in addition to what we already use we have to buy upgrades for $5000! Seems steep. Even just adding the flatbed cutter option is $2000.

Does anyone know of any RIP that can handle all these machines without breaking the bank?
We would be fine to continue to use the proprietary RIP for the Mimaki, but would love support for the flatbed cutter for the other printers.

At the moment we have to create the registration marks for the flatbed cutter in Illustrator before we print and would love to streamline the process, and add the possibility of qr code scanning for the cut job.

Any suggestions what to look into?

Cheers!
Personally I would stay within the Onyx portfolio. If you change to another rip, you’ll need new profiles for every device too. You have the Jwei CB03, so if it’s driven by Optiscout you have the material database connection with Thrive.
Caldera is a good alternative, very good support, quicker than Onyx to fix bugs. Big disadvantage however: the drivers are tied to whatever you have. Change a printer and you’ll pay. Caldera runs on Linux or Mac OS.
EFI Fiery XF is also an option. Pricewise between Onyx and Caldera. Unique is their client-server approach. Best in class color management.

CanuckSigns

I was under the impression that onyx allowed ad many cutters as you want and you only paid for printers? They never asked us about how many cutters we have, and have no issues using onyx with our summa flatbed cutters.

DrunknMonk

I moved from onyx to caldera a few months ago, yes it is very clunky but once you get past that, it worked out cheaper than updating onyx, they also give you money off if you hand in your old RIP (even is you get a used one from eBay) :) you can get a 30 day working demo

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I was under the impression that onyx allowed ad many cutters as you want and you only paid for printers? They never asked us about how many cutters we have, and have no issues using onyx with our summa flatbed cutters.
Flatbed cutter needs a paid license (some special cases excluded).

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
All the money part aside... Cost of business etc... why not stick with what you know, and already have. Onyx can have some frustrating drawbacks, but they have excellent support and you can add just about any printer and/or plotter to onyx.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Later versions of Onyx didn't include flatbed cutters.
It's just an added licence to use flatbed cutters.
You can have as many as you like (from memory)

Roll cutters are included.

CanuckSigns

Odd, I guess I was grandfathered in, I didn't have the flatbed when I originally bought onyx, I just updated to the recent version a few weeks ago, Noone mentioned anything about an extra charge.

ikarasu

Were you on production house before? I think it used to be included.

Our work license has the Flatbed option... And everytime they tried to switch us to Thrive, they threw in the "Free" $500 flatbed option. We just went from Production house 21, to Thrive for about 2K CAD - 6 rips, 3 printers. and Flatbed included in the price... We've never had, or used the flatbed option either. I mean, we have a Multicam CNC and onyx can generate fiducials for it... but we don't do much CNC print and cut, so when we do it we do it manually anyways. But when I look at my home license... flatbed cutting isnt included.

1703398282218.png

[Edit] May as well throw in the photo for my home upgrade - I like having matching specs as work... And TBH, I have a 7950X at home and everything is run on SSDS, so it pisses me off having 2 rips after seeing how awesome having 6 is... So I asked for price to upgrade my 221, to 6 rips... It ended up costing more than work paid to go from production house to thrive, so I passed! I still find it ridiculous that they charge per rip, you should be able to enable as many rips as you want.... but you can see they added at the bottom "Flabed cutting capable with additional purchase".

1703398688099.png

yannb

Odd, I guess I was grandfathered in, I didn't have the flatbed when I originally bought onyx, I just updated to the recent version a few weeks ago, Noone mentioned anything about an extra charge.
For Summa flatbeds there’s no need for the Flatbed Cutting license, oddly enough.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Were you on production house before? I think it used to be included.

Our work license has the Flatbed option... And everytime they tried to switch us to Thrive, they threw in the "Free" $500 flatbed option. We just went from Production house 21, to Thrive for about 2K CAD - 6 rips, 3 printers. and Flatbed included in the price... We've never had, or used the flatbed option either. I mean, we have a Multicam CNC and onyx can generate fiducials for it... but we don't do much CNC print and cut, so when we do it we do it manually anyways. But when I look at my home license... flatbed cutting isnt included.

View attachment 168890

[Edit] May as well throw in the photo for my home upgrade - I like having matching specs as work... And TBH, I have a 7950X at home and everything is run on SSDS, so it pisses me off having 2 rips after seeing how awesome having 6 is... So I asked for price to upgrade my 221, to 6 rips... It ended up costing more than work paid to go from production house to thrive, so I passed! I still find it ridiculous that they charge per rip, you should be able to enable as many rips as you want.... but you can see they added at the bottom "Flabed cutting capable with additional purchase".

View attachment 168891
Flatbed cutting is actually worth $1600. They had a special promo running until end of this year that you can transfer it from any other product. So maybe you got it "transferred free" from the old productionhouse.
That $2000 very good deal anyway. I don't know why but they really really want to get rid of all the old productionhouses.