• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rock/chip protection

AceHigh

Does anyone have some tips on extra protection for the rocker panels on a wrapped truck? I know avery & 3M have their 8 or 9 mil stuff for paint protection that can be used, but it is almost $5 sf.
Any ideas would help.
Thanks,
Carl

AceHigh

Just the 8mil laminate/paint protection (3M 8515) is $4.95 per sq ft. and the smallest roll is 60 sq ft. I only need an area of 8 sq ft so the $300 roll is a bit over kill and I don't see needing to use that product on any other projects in the near future.

Tifosi

I have wondered about using heavy duty floor graphic lam on high wear spots on wraps. What got me thinking about it is where the bucket on our lift van will hit the back corner of the van and scratch the regular laminate. I was thinking off adding a section of the rough textured floor lam on it to give it a little extra wear protection.

We also had done a wrap on a local delivery company vehicle that had lots of scratches on the roof before we wrapped it from the driver setting the boxes on the roof and sliding them around. Another place I had thought the floor lam could work.

I just don't know if you can put floor lam over existing laminate without issues.

I know the texture isn't for everyone but in some cases it could really add to the wrap. Think of it like the spray on truck bed liner kind of tough look.

CheapVehicleWrap

I have wondered about using heavy duty floor graphic lam on high wear spots on wraps. What got me thinking about it is where the bucket on our lift van will hit the back corner of the van and scratch the regular laminate. I was thinking off adding a section of the rough textured floor lam on it to give it a little extra wear protection.

We also had done a wrap on a local delivery company vehicle that had lots of scratches on the roof before we wrapped it from the driver setting the boxes on the roof and sliding them around. Another place I had thought the floor lam could work.

I just don't know if you can put floor lam over existing laminate without issues.

I know the texture isn't for everyone but in some cases it could really add to the wrap. Think of it like the spray on truck bed liner kind of tough look.

It's also calendered.

AceHigh

Yes, the calandered part is what I'm worried about. As far as I know it's not good to put calandered on top of cast.
Sideshow, what is clear coat?? is it a liquid??
Thanks for the responses

Sideshow

What I mean is automotive clear coat, spray it. dupont house of Kolor, whatever clever. Smaller areas we dont need a spray booth, just mask off and go. HVLP and a small shop compressor, then a couple coats for extra protection on the areas that get dinged the most.

I'll hit bumpers, scoops, whatever they want extra chip protection on. ATV's Golf carts, etc.