• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland 54" SP 540 V - Printhead change issue

advantageci

Hello All,
I just replaced my black/cyan print head, and now when I do a test print I am getting two sets of Magenta and Yellow printing! Image attached. I have done numerous power cleans, and have even syringed ink through the lines (to no avail). Any suggestions - would be welcome. Image attached.

Attachments

• RolandSP540V_testprint.jpg
    RolandSP540V_testprint.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 603

Ragnabrok

Not even a freckle of ink mean either no ink is making it into the head, or there is no signal instructing it to fire. You are seeing 2 rows of yellow and magenta because the machine is still in service mode, and prints the large and small dots on the test print.

If you can syringe black/cyan ink from the left cap, meaning ink is being pulled through the head, then it can only be an electrical issue, likely that the ribbon cables aren't all the way in, or you popped a fuse during the replacement.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Not even a freckle of ink mean either no ink is making it into the head, or there is no signal instructing it to fire. You are seeing 2 rows of yellow and magenta because the machine is still in service mode, and prints the large and small dots on the test print.

If you can syringe black/cyan ink from the left cap, meaning ink is being pulled through the head, then it can only be an electrical issue, likely that the ribbon cables aren't all the way in, or you popped a fuse during the replacement.

Or, you didn't unplug the machine and burned up something. Happens more than we like to think. Check your cables and that you set up the print head correctly after installing.

advantageci

Thanks for the leads....
I just did little test with the cables running to the Blk/cyan and M/Y print heads (swapped them around) hoping I would get the blk/cyan to fire up! But same results, only the magenta and yellow test printed again.... I'm hoping now that the culprit might be the fuse controlling the Blk/Cyan has blown? Will order fuse and will update as soon as I receive the new fuse and install.

player

Thanks for the leads....
I just did little test with the cables running to the Blk/cyan and M/Y print heads (swapped them around) hoping I would get the blk/cyan to fire up! But same results, only the magenta and yellow test printed again.... I'm hoping now that the culprit might be the fuse controlling the Blk/Cyan has blown? Will order fuse and will update as soon as I receive the new fuse and install.

You should test the fuses on the board before installing new ones...

When you swapped the cables did the red/yellow print with the black/blue cable? If so the fuse on the board is OK. With the red/yellow cable on the black, the black still is not printing right? But when you switch back the red/yellow printed again?

Are you able to gently pull ink through the black head? Is there ink in the damper? Are the caps sealing properly?
Pump is pulling ink?

advantageci

Player, that's what I should have done too.
But all I did was to pull both sets of cables (which I swapped)
to check if the cables were good. In the morning I'll try what you said.
Thanks again for all the suggestions/advice.

advantageci

Yes I used an aftermarket printhead (as the Roland printhead was twice the cost)! Aftermarket parts are like buying NAPA parts - nothing wrong with them (in my opinion) and best of all they cost less.
Yippee!!! I just found the culprit - I did blow the Black and Cyan printhead fuse. I swapped the print cables around and the black and cyan worked flawlessly :) I'll order the fuse now and keep you all updated.

player

Yes I used an aftermarket printhead (as the Roland printhead was twice the cost)! Aftermarket parts are like buying NAPA parts - nothing wrong with them (in my opinion) and best of all they cost less.
Yippee!!! I just found the culprit - I did blow the Black and Cyan printhead fuse. I swapped the print cables around and the black and cyan worked flawlessly :) I'll order the fuse now and keep you all updated.

Did you test the fuse on the main board? Do you know how to solder really well and really small?

Test the fuse. Do you know how?

This can be a good time to run wires from the existing fuse ends and install a fuse holder.

Good to hear it prints. Well done!

advantageci

Hi ALL
Just wanted to follow-up with you all.
I'm back-up in production - thanks to all your help.
Couldn't have completed this project without the help of this forum and "YouTube" :)