• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland bn-20 inconsistent cuts

Purehobby

Recently bought a new bn-20. Having heck of a time with cut consistency.
cutting through 2.75mil 3651ra plus 2.5mil Oraguard 210 laminate. Seems sometimes it will cut through laminate and vinyl but next time it doesnt same 85-95 force using versaworks.

Also when i try to diecut im finding it cuts through backing on parts of it but not all of it however the same cutting area on the next sticker it does goes through.
Here is picture. Diecut speed 10 and force around 150
Any idea what it could be?

Attachments

• 339565EC-E3DD-4CFD-8740-08AC500DD12D.jpeg
    339565EC-E3DD-4CFD-8740-08AC500DD12D.jpeg
    664.1 KB · Views: 357

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
That would be my guess as well, I've had similar issues cutting thicker material and it usually is the cutting strip needs replacing.

Purehobby

It has a little bit of wear I will change it but would that effect ones im not cutting through the backing as well?
Also it cuts through one and the one following behind it in same cutting spot it doesnt so im not sure it will be strip would it?
Also changing from 60 degree blade to 45

Zoogee World

It does sound like a cut strip issue, as I've had the same issue on my VS-300i, and what happens is that the blade does warm up and cool down while it cuts, so my theory is that is why sometimes it cuts through and sometimes not, but once you change the strip and lower the pressure, they should cut more consistently. That being said, the thicker the material is, the more wear on all the parts does it do.

Purehobby

OK new blade, new strip it worked the first time and when I do the same settings again it doesnt cut through backing in some areas. Any other thoughts?
This time it is an easy rectangle cut and im noticing its not cutting through consistently on the left and back of the sticker but is cutting through fine on the front and right side. Seems pretty consistent not cutting this time same problem a cross all 25 stickers.

Zoogee World

If it didn't cut through the backer, that is great news, as you don't want that, but if it isn't cutting through the top layers, then try adding a little extra force, but not too much. As previously mentioned, the BN-20 doesn't do all that great on thicker materials, so it is harder on the blade and cutting strip, a separate plotter would be your ideal scenario. I don't really have any other suggestions.

Purehobby

If it didn't cut through the backer, that is great news, as you don't want that, but if it isn't cutting through the top layers, then try adding a little extra force, but not too much. As previously mentioned, the BN-20 doesn't do all that great on thicker materials, so it is harder on the blade and cutting strip, a separate plotter would be your ideal scenario. I don't really have any other suggestions.
When trying to cut through the backing its cutting through 2 of the 4 sides.

Zoogee World

Are you trying to cut through the backing? As that isn't recommended, that would be the problem, as Roland's aren't meant to cut completely through the material, just the top layer, then you weed off the extra and peel off the backer when applying it.

Purehobby

Are you trying to cut through the backing? As that isn't recommended, that would be the problem, as Roland's aren't meant to cut completely through the material, just the top layer, then you weed off the extra and peel off the backer when applying it.A
Im attempting both and neither is consistent. I try cutting through just vinyl at 95 force and one time it cuts through fine and the next it cuts through the backer on certain sides. Then I try cutting through backer a different try on new vinyl sheet and it cuts through on two of the four sides

Zoogee World

Have you tried cutting without laminate on to see how it does with a new blade and cutting strip? I'm thinking it may be too thick for the machine, as the BN-20, as far as I'm aware wasn't made for that kind of use, it's the lower end model for hobby sorts more then anything.

Purehobby

It's really not meant for that, odds are the first one that you cut all the way through scored the cutting strip, which will cause the blade to either get stuck or not have anything to push against when it starts its next cut, hence the inconsistent cuts.
IT does just fine at it once you can figure it out. I got it done now. Thanks everyone

Set force to 300g and adjust blade physically just deep enough to cut through vinyl but not the backing, set speed as high as you want.