• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland GR-640 stops after reading 4th mark

Justin Lappen

So our new Roland GR-640 works great at times and just doesn't work other times. This situation is baffling me. We ran a print (on XR-640) and cut on (on GR-640) last week with this same artwork file (approx 3,400 kb). The previous project was about 8' in length, the GR read all 4 marks and cut the job without a problem. It was slightly off the mark as it went through due to set up error on my end and the thickness of the laminated material. The current job is down to 4' in length but the same material, laminate and file size. The GR reads all 4 marks and then stops and the screen on the GR goes back to showing the material size like it does when the job is done.

I've turned off the GR, reset VersaWorks and the computer, updated the Firmware on the GR and still no luck.

What is baffling is that a job at about 2' in length cuts just fine after reading the marks. Can this machine not print jobs that are over 2-3' in length?

Has anyone had this issue and if so, what was your fix if any? Thanks!

Alan Clegg

So our new Roland GR-640 works great at times and just doesn't work other times. This situation is baffling me. We ran a print (on XR-640) and cut on (on GR-640) last week with this same artwork file (approx 3,400 kb). The previous project was about 8' in length, the GR read all 4 marks and cut the job without a problem. It was slightly off the mark as it went through due to set up error on my end and the thickness of the laminated material. The current job is down to 4' in length but the same material, laminate and file size. The GR reads all 4 marks and then stops and the screen on the GR goes back to showing the material size like it does when the job is done.

I've turned off the GR, reset VersaWorks and the computer, updated the Firmware on the GR and still no luck.

What is baffling is that a job at about 2' in length cuts just fine after reading the marks. Can this machine not print jobs that are over 2-3' in length?

Has anyone had this issue and if so, what was your fix if any? Thanks!

I have had issues in the past with cutting certain laminates like a matt lam sometimes give it an issue reading. the fix for me is to switch over to manual and align the registration by eye. not great for small labels, but does the job for large.
Does it cut vinyl without using the printed marks?

Justin Lappen

I have had issues in the past with cutting certain laminates like a matt lam sometimes give it an issue reading. the fix for me is to switch over to manual and align the registration by eye. not great for small labels, but does the job for large.
Does it cut vinyl without using the printed marks?

Its cuts vinyl without the marks just fine. We are using a 4mil media with a 12 mil laminate, they are sports helmet decals. I was running jobs Monday morning just fine. Those were about 2' in length each job and then I loaded a job that was 5' in length and thats when it stopped after reading the 4th mark.

Yesterday we can 4 different jobs on 30mil magnet all about 12"-18" in length and it read the marks and cut just fine. It seems to be the common denominator is that longer jobs won't read and cut. I'm wondering why a brand new machine would have an issue with that.

Thanks for your help!

Alan Clegg

Its cuts vinyl without the marks just fine. We are using a 4mil media with a 12 mil laminate, they are sports helmet decals. I was running jobs Monday morning just fine. Those were about 2' in length each job and then I loaded a job that was 5' in length and thats when it stopped after reading the 4th mark.

Yesterday we can 4 different jobs on 30mil magnet all about 12"-18" in length and it read the marks and cut just fine. It seems to be the common denominator is that longer jobs won't read and cut. I'm wondering why a brand new machine would have an issue with that.

Thanks for your help!

Just a quick suggestion, try creating the job without the print part, just the cutlines. I found sometimes that something in the print side effected the ripping of the cut.

Justin Lappen

Just a quick suggestion, try creating the job without the print part, just the cutlines. I found sometimes that something in the print side effected the ripping of the cut.
Thank you! We separated our files yesterday. I've been using .eps files but switched to .pdf and then a print only .pdf and a cut only .pdf. Still no luck here. I'll keep trying different combinations.

Justin Lappen

UPDATE: So I accidentally sent a file to cut yesterday with only 1 cut and 440 gf. Usually I send it with 2 cuts at 440... this stuff if thick! Anyways, it read all 4 marks and started cutting. I tried it again, same file right after and it stopped after the 4th mark again. So I've narrowed it down to the GR not accepting outputs with more than 1 cut. The size of the file and length of the print don't seem to be the issue like I thought. I thought a good work around would be setting it up to cut 1 line twice but that quickly go off registration and made a mess. I'm going to try putting 2 cut lines in the file today and see what we get.