• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland GX-24 Vinyl Tracking Issue

D-Nice Customs

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this problem that has recently started to happen when cutting with the Roland GX-24. My vinyl is bunching up at the pinch rollers on the backward feed motion and when feeding forward the vinyl tends to bow up in the middle of the sheet. Both of these are causing cuts to be off or cause the blade to come in contact with the bowed vinyl while traveling and lightly score it, not enough to cut all the way through but enough to leave a mark on the finished surface. I have lubed both pinch rollers, the vacuum seems to be just as strong as day one with the machine. New blades don't seem to make a difference nor does a lighter down force.

One thing I did notice is when a new 50 yard roll is used this all seems to go away or lessen for the time being. But when that roll gets to half way gone the problem starts up again. Has anyone else seen this happen or know a possible cause/solution to the problem. I cant see the vinyl being the problem as its what I been using for years with no issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160822_132804.jpg
    20160822_132804.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2,078
  • 20160822_132836.jpg
    20160822_132836.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,147
  • 20160822_132938.jpg
    20160822_132938.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,080

visual800

heres a solution. Take that POS put it on ebay and get a Summa. I owned one of these and couldnt get rid of it quicker. No Tracking at all, it was horrible.

sounds like a pinch roller is bent

ams

Great machine, but appears to be a pinch roller error. I never have any problems with my GX-24, I've had mine for 6 years.

Baz

You might need new pinch rollers.

What may be happening is the rubber part of the roller detaches itself from the steel roller and starts to move around.
This causes the vinyl to bunch up or go completely off track.

I used a CAMM 1, 24" plotter for 17 years but had to change my rollers i think 14 years in. (Replaced with a GX 640 last year)
Also had to change the rollers on an SC-500 i used to have and that was about 8 years after it was bought.

OldPaint

#1. that is an entry level machine and its made CHEAPLY.
I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT rolands....... SINCE 1992. I AM ON #4.
was knowledgeable about these machines before i bought any,,,,,,,,and when i did buy, i got a CAMM1 PRO level machine not the CX-24. biggest difference in these you cant see. has to to with how the the "rotating" shafts are held in place.
ALL CX-24 are set in a NYLON BUSHING. all CAMM1 machines are all BALL BEARING at all rolling points. hence the higher price for say a GX-300 then the CX-24.
this also makes for TRACKING to be better, and LONGEVITY of the unit. put it this way, ig you have a chance to buy a used ROLAND PNC-XXX or a GX-300 you are way ahead then buying a new GX-24)))))
IAM THINKING YOU GOT bushing wear.......NOT SURE AT WHICH ROLLING POINT((((
I HAVE THIS SAME ONE.......love it!!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLAND-CX30...080275?hash=item41b1378613:g:7p0AAOSwM4xXYtCA

I have to wonder if these troubles with the GX-24 are isolated incidents, as we've had ours for 5 years (it runs daily) and I've only just recently had to change the cutting strip. Essentially, I find it to be a great cutter. I can darn near cut through an entire 30 feet of material without the tracking issues others speak of. It's a great unit for the price, in my opinion.

WildWestDesigns

I have to wonder if these troubles with the GX-24 are isolated incidents, as we've had ours for 5 years (it runs daily) and I've only just recently had to change the cutting strip. Essentially, I find it to be a great cutter. I can darn near cut through an entire 30 feet of material without the tracking issues others speak of. It's a great unit for the price, in my opinion.

I have to agree. We have a couple here that we use for applique shapes. For the money, it really is a nice machine to have.

ams

Generally tracking issues with all plotters of all brands are the fault of the user. This is providing there is nothing wrong with the machine settings or parts.

The two biggest reasons for tracking issues are the following.

#1. The user loads the vinyl is slightly crooked or the pinch rollers are not set the same equal distance from the edges. Roll out 2 - 3 feet to ensure it's properly aligned before cutting.

#2. When the vinyl is cutting, if it hits the wall, stand leg, any object, etc. It can run off the alignment and tracking as it's shifted from it's original position.

When you find a problem, seek help on what went wrong instead of blaming the manufacturer for a faulty machine.

decalman

This can happen with any machine. I'd change the pinch rollers, and I think its probably wise to buy them from Roland, as opposed to getting them cheap on ebay. They got to be precise. If that don't work, I'd get it to a tech.

I had a camm 1 24 for and went 12 years before changing them up. It was skewing all over, and the outer wheel was detaching.

I demand excellent tracking, so I got a new Summa and am quite happy with it.

S'N'S

Yeah, I've never had a problem with mine and it's 9 years on the original cutting strip. But I am pedantic about adjusting the blade depth.
OP...if you leave the rollers down for a long time (ie over night/all day) after cutting they can get a flat spot on the rollers.

D-Nice Customs

Thanks for the insight everyone. After talking to tech support we're thinking it's the rollers that makes the most sense at this point so I put an order in for them. The machine is a little over a year old and this is the first issue with it. I do release the wheel lever everyday so that it's not activated overnight same with my SP300V. Hopefully this is all it ends up being. Other then that it's been a great machine, if I upgrade it will be to a larger size and be used to cut after my 300 prints. Any suggestions on 30" or 54" cutters?

D-Nice Customs

heres a solution. Take that POS put it on ebay and get a Summa. I owned one of these and couldnt get rid of it quicker. No Tracking at all, it was horrible.

sounds like a pinch roller is bent

Any suggestions as to where I can find a summa dealer? All I can find is the main website. There machines seem pretty awesome but a bit overkill for me right now. But if I can find a used older model perhaps that's the way to go for right now

AF

Any suggestions as to where I can find a summa dealer? All I can find is the main website. There machines seem pretty awesome but a bit overkill for me right now. But if I can find a used older model perhaps that's the way to go for right now

Used ones pop up all the time and Summa USA has refurbs at great prices periodically.

As for the feed issue, I suggest having a longer lead and never run the pinch rollers on the holes. And make sure the media isn't ramming into stuff as mentioned above.