• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

roland hi fi 42" inkjet

signdesign

Does anyone know much about this printer. Can it use outdoor inks and how long would they last outdoors. And what would be a good price on a used one. I have an opportunity to buy one would like your input on the printer
Thanks Karen

JR Digital

its a good printer. if you use pigmented inks it should be ok for outdoors probably 1-2 years. the only downside is that you must use expensive coated media. this printer is more used to fineart and indoor work. I would suggest you get a roland soljet if you expect to do more outdoor work this give syou up to 3 years without lamination

flexiezine

HiFi FJ-42 is a good printer as Isdreem mentioned... I prefer the Roland devices over most on the market. Be wary of maintenance on a used machine depending on how old the machine is... Print heads, capping stations, dampers, pumps, pulley bearing, and motors - All may need to be replaced. Usually printheads, capping stations, dampers and pump are changed at 9 to 12 months. Pulley bearing and motors may need to be replaced every 18 to 24 months. Of course, all of this will vary depending on amount of use.

Overall good machine for indoor and temporary outdoor graphics. This machine can be converted to solvent printer using Lyson or possibly Mega Ink... These inks will get you 3 years outdoor without lamination while printing directly to vinyl or banner (uncoated/untreated).

flexiezine

I believe you can purchase changeover kits...

You will need to thoroughly clean the machine and flush all inks from lines. Then two cleaning solutions need to be pumped through the lines to prepare system for eco-sol inks. In order to eco-sol inks to work, you will need to install a heating element into the machine. One is available from Splash of Color with all electronics and installation instructions for $2500. You will also need to change the pump with solvent resistant pump ($140).

If you are looking to purchase a used FJ-42 and convert it to eco-sol inks from Roland, one could expect to pay $7000-$8000 for the unit and conversion kit plus ink.

If you are interested in the changeover kit, contact Splash of Color in Texas for more information... John Nelson is a great guy to talk to and should have the information you need. 1-800-441-9064 Ext. 104

http://www.splashofcolor.com/contact.html

May be worth your while to hold off until you can budget $12-15 and purchase new printer.

Where are you located?

paul luszcz

A word of warning; there are no conversion kits of any kind sanctioned by Roland to convert water based to solvent inks, and water based inks do not last long outdoors.

If you laminate water based inks, you need an extra 1/2" of laminate to seal the edges or water will "wick" under the laminate and stain the print. If you don't laminate, the prints fade in a matter of months.

If you really want outdoor prints, you need an outdoor (solvent or thermal) printer.

JR Digital

If you mainly plan on printing posters I would suggest you get a hp5500uv and that lets you us eit for outdoor too. I have 3 hp5500 with dye inks for posters.
but for my outdoor and banner stuff I have a roland sj740ex pro II with a bulk ink conversion. Let me tell ya.. Its a great machine.. Its the workhorse out of all my printers, for now taht is. I am aquiring a NUR Expedio UV curable printer within th enext month. and that baby should be able to output enough to keep up with jobs.

flexiezine

There was no mention of Roland backing the conversion kit though they do still warranty some converted machines as long as the company responsible for the conversion warranty the ink ink system... I believe the Lyson ink version from Splash of Color is such a product.

As stated before, if you want good outdoor durability and quality printing, you will need solvent ink whether it be eco-sol, lyson, mega or whatever.

It is my suggestion to wait for your financial situation to allow a budget of 15k and purchase new solvent machine rather than purchase used 5 year old technology that is to be converted and pay $8k to $10 total. May even find a demo unit from a dealer for $12-$14k... shop around.