• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ROLAND Not cutting / blade not lowering

DSC

Hello all

2009 Roland XC540 Blade is not lowering.. ?

The blade holder just "dances" and cuts in the air above the material.

It's as if the magnet is not being turned on and holding the cutter in position..

Any insight is truly appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

Desert_Signs

This happened to me a few weeks ago. Ended up being the cable from the cut carriage to the main board. Had a small break in it.

JAMEY

Interesting. I had mine jam yesterday at the beginning of a contour cut a few inches from the home location. I had to turn the unit off and remove the material.

After loading my media back up and doing a sheet cut as I usually do, THE SHEET CUT BLADE (AND IT'S HOLDER) STAYED DOWN! So now when I go to print or anything after a sheet cut, I have to raise the lid and pull that little silver release (on the sheet cut blade holder) to the left in order to make it go back up to avoid a definite jam. It stays back up after manually "release" it back up like that.

I wonder if this is cable related as well. If so, is it hard to change? Any help would be appreciated on this.

Desert_Signs

Interesting. I had mine jam yesterday at the beginning of a contour cut a few inches from the home location. I had to turn the unit off and remove the material.

After loading my media back up and doing a sheet cut as I usually do, THE SHEET CUT BLADE (AND IT'S HOLDER) STAYED DOWN! So now when I go to print or anything after a sheet cut, I have to raise the lid and pull that little silver release (on the sheet cut blade holder) to the left in order to make it go back up to avoid a definite jam. It stays back up after manually "release" it back up like that.

I wonder if this is cable related as well. If so, is it hard to change? Any help would be appreciated on this.

The sheet cut blade is held down by tension only. It's not electrically controlled. You probably slightly bent the bracket or something got stuck in the mechanism. (assuming this is an XC-540)

DSC

Thank you

Thanks everyone for your imput, we have the tech coming out tomorrow to take a look.. He also thinks it is a cable issue..

We were gonna do it, but we are behind as it is on production! Yikes!

I will let you know how it goes . Thanks Again!

JAMEY

The sheet cut blade is held down by tension only. It's not electrically controlled. You probably slightly bent the bracket or something got stuck in the mechanism. (assuming this is an XC-540)

The housing around the blade holder is made up of plastic pieces. The silver metal piece that pulls out to the left to raise it back up is spring loaded maybe? That's not bent at all. You can usually hear it click up or down. It's not coming back up on it's own. The metal piece we pull out seems to release something making it snap back up where it belongs. Maybe the main housing bracket is tweaked a little?

attachment.php
attachment.php

And yes. It is indeed an Roland Soljet III XC-540. We've had jams before, but none ever caused this to happen.

attachment.php

Attachments

• XC-540.jpg
    XC-540.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,700
  • Sheet Cut Mechanism.jpg
    Sheet Cut Mechanism.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,834
  • Sheet Cut Mechanism 2.jpg
    Sheet Cut Mechanism 2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,823

DSC

Problem solved

SO it ended up being a short in the cable.. see attached pics..

The tech says this happens in the older 300sp all the time, it is only the second he has replaced on an xc540 ..

Thanks again for all the input..

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 1.09.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 1.09.08 PM.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,842

Desert_Signs

The housing around the blade holder is made up of plastic pieces. The silver metal piece that pulls out to the left to raise it back up is spring loaded maybe? That's not bent at all. You can usually hear it click up or down. It's not coming back up on it's own. The metal piece we pull out seems to release something making it snap back up where it belongs. Maybe the main housing bracket is tweaked a little?

attachment.php
attachment.php

And yes. It is indeed an Roland Soljet III XC-540. We've had jams before, but none ever caused this to happen.

attachment.php

What happens is, the metal bar hits the left side of the machine, pushing the wheel down until it makes contact with the machine. The pressure on the wheel keeps the blade down until it comes off the platen on the right side of the machine. I would probably take the mechanism off and make sure it's all clean. IIRC, you just have to take the 2 screws off you can see in your photo.

JAMEY

Nothing was sticking or bent. As I suspected, it was a spring missing. The jam must have made it come off. We don't see it anywhere and figure that it must have ended up in the garbage with the jammed up media.

Ended up modifying a pen spring and it's fixed. Will order the correct spring one of these days.

David Milisock

cutter

Nothing was sticking or bent. As I suspected, it was a spring missing. The jam must have made it come off. We don't see it anywhere and figure that it must have ended up in the garbage with the jammed up media.

Ended up modifying a pen spring and it's fixed. Will order the correct spring one of these days.

Good for you we needed the control board it cost a bit

Anointed

Hi, I know this is an old post but I have a similar issue. Where you able to put back the string and where was the spring located? attached is the spring that came of mine

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 9.09.05 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 9.09.05 pm.png
    181.2 KB · Views: 288