• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland & ONLY Corel??...

Cadmn

well Arlo I didn't find a book but Its interesting once i Hooked it up & figured out the line weight & no fill it cut so If it aint broke I'm notta gonna f with it. I had to drive all the way over past steve c's today had to be in that area for an errand so decided to go eat lupper (lunch at 4:45 in the afternoon)at Arizolas(820& Jacksboro Hwy)steve Had cut out before 5 today so I guess we were all out running around having fun.

OldPaint

i was offered old goober stuf when i 1st was lookin for a plotter.....somethin told me to puker my butt....with that stuff.....and go find somethin else....I DID FIND A PNC-1000 ROLAND and i was usein corel 3 and nobody was cuttin from corel yet.... that i knew of. corel 3 was limited to a 30 inch x 30 inch work space...to double it you had to tell corel to enlarge it times 2 to get a 60" x 60".
but i cut with COREL 3, ART & LETTERS 5.0, FREEHAND, ILLISTRATOR, and i also got LETTER ART with the plotter.
and to this day, i dont regert never havin a GERBER EXPERIANCE.

OldPaint

yes! most any program that handles vectors will communicate to a plotter thru HPGL(EXCEPT GOOBER)wonder why? hehehehehehe
ive cut from all the above programs one time or another in searchin for a good one to stick with.
ARTS & LETTERS GRAPHIC EDITOR 7.0 is also a good cutting program. plenty of clipart and has clipart that you can build. http://www.arts-letters.com/express_70/index.html at $149.00 will pay for its self.

signage

I agree with old paint on the HPGL this is the language that the plotter used for plotting out of cad in the early eighties. Still seems to be standard communication between large format plotters and computers.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

signage said:
I agree with old paint on the HPGL this is the language that the plotter used for plotting out of cad in the early eighties. Still seems to be standard communication between large format plotters and computers.

Okay... so then, what would be the steps after: I have converted Text to Paths, assigned a Line Weight of .001,... then what?

Since I can't save it as an HPGL file - but can export as such, what would I do to cut the hpgl file?

OP... GOOBER is all I've had (3 complete setups now), but it's always a no-brainer - ya hook it up & make money.

& Ian Stewart Koster - you sir are quite right - nothing intuitive about these old Roland plotters at all. Lookin' more & more like the wife & me will be seein' the sights of Toowoomba someday when I deliver this to you!

7oaks

You have to make sure the HPGL filter is installed. Tools, customization,global, filters, then associate. HGL should be checked..I think this is necessary for computer to send to plotter.

OldPaint

HPGL is most VECTOR based files EPS, AI, CDR, CMX.... if youre in corel you will send a file to the plotter as a CDR/CMX... plotter driver/corel will (hook it up & make money)without all tha money ya spent!!!

Cadmn

signage said:
still used by Autocad to plot if I'm correct Kenny still uses Autocad so he can verify if he reads this but arlo is gonna have to figure the one thing that is causing his plotter not to clear it's memory, as it continues to plot gibberish even though its being told new info.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

FINALLY - it works! I don't know why it never occured to me with all the comments about havin' the right cable, but I tried the cable hooked up to my Gerber plotter on the Roland and it has cut everything I've tried. Fortunately too, a friend of mine who is the Computer Sys. Architect for Lockheed stopped by shortly after I got it to work, and he made me a cable setup for the Roland on the spot so I could hook my Gerber back up to. What a nice day.

The BEST... absolutelety positively GREATEST part is - I did this ALL out of Omega. I do not have to get Corel again. So I can stay in my native program all the time.

I'll admit - I shoulda got one of these Rolands years ago to utilize all the scrap my 15inch plotter generates, and to avoid panelling most of my bigger jobs. But all is well now. Bottom line is it seems the people who all suggested the cable setup were right all along.

Cadmn

arlo great you got it cuttinnow you can see all the money the GOOBER has been waste in fer ya all these years LOL. I bet it is at least 2-3x's as fast to cut? enjoy & have fun

2NinerNiner2

Arlo - great to hear that you have your Roland working! :) A great machine! I was sad to see mine leave after 19 years of totally problem-free operation. The only things that were ever changed were the blades and the teflon strip. For the year and a half that I worked with the Edge system, that is what I used my CAMM1 for - what you are planning for it, but I ran mine out of Omega's predecessor, G/A 6 (can't recall the 'dot' vr.) ... and via a null modem cable (Roland's XYRS-63) on the serial port! :)

2NinerNiner2

Cadmn :) ... as great as the Roland's are, the attached is an example of where the 'Goober' sprocket-feed is really a life (and frustration) saver! The white 'goose' on the tail of the F-28 MK 1000 is 16.5 ft high and was 16 panels worth of paint mask!!! 2 per airplane, 56 airplanes! Sure woulnd't have wanted to baby-sit that job on my Roland with it's friction-feed :) With the 'Goober', I hit 'plot' and went for coffee! :)

Attachments

• f28_tail.jpg
    f28_tail.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 137

Arlo Kalon 2.0

2NinerNiner2 said:
Cadmn :) ... as great as the Roland's are, the attached is an example of where the 'Goober' sprocket-feed is really a life (and frustration) saver! The white 'goose' on the tail of the F-28 MK 1000 is 16.5 ft high and was 16 panels worth of paint mask!!!

I've done my share of what you pictured here... what with my shop at one time having been in the largest hangar at an airport servicing commercial jetliners. The idea of 16 panels of masking on a tail section would never have been the way we'd do it. Last one like that we did infinitely faster by solidly masking the surface and hand cutting from pounce patterns. No matter what technology is available, some jobs are better done without it. And the tolerance with hand cutting was well within acceptable limits - in fact, nobody ever questioned the quality.

2NinerNiner2

Actually, our refinishing technicians preferred the narrower panels as they were easier for them to handle on the scaffolding and went on quite quickly. Now I have never used the pounce pattern method but am I to gather that the hand cutting was done on the aircraft itself? The "our" in the first line here means that I was employed by the airline as well ... as a senior structures inspector and that technique would be VERY closely scrutinized, especially on the aircraft depicted as it's vertical stabilizer torsion box exterior panels are primary structure fabricated from composites.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

2NinerNiner2 said:
Actually, our refinishing technicians preferred the narrower panels as they were easier for them to handle on the scaffolding and went on quite quickly. Now I have never used the pounce pattern method but am I to gather that the hand cutting was done on the aircraft itself? The "our" in the first line here means that I was employed by the airline as well ... as a senior structures inspector and that technique would be VERY closely scrutinized, especially on the aircraft depicted as it's vertical stabilizer torsion box exterior panels are primary structure fabricated from composites.

It is certainly a job that only experience can you make you capable of. However, many people routinely hand cut masking on top of fabric-like sign faces and do not score the surface. Also, cutting on a painted surface means not scoring the paint if it's a car for example. It is done all the time. I sure know what you mean about airframe inspections... but I can assure ya none of those birds would ever go in as a result of hand cut masking.