• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland or Summa

deanalois

Getting ready to order my cutter and hane narrowed it down to a Roland GX-24 or a Summa D60. Have done lots of research but would still like
some thoughts and opinions on which would be the better choice.
Oh and is anyone using or have used signcut software anf some opions on it.
:thankyou:
Dean

jayhawksigns

I have, and always will use a Summa as my primary cutter. Our current beast has been running strong for over nine years now, its a T1010 Plus model. I won't dog on the Roland cutters, the only experience I have had with Roland is on our ColorCAMM and I assume that their standalone cutters are better then what the ColorCAMM can do.

George Wilson

I have have a Roland CX 24 and bought a Summ D60 10 months ago.

The Roland is know a backup machine.

IMHO the summa is a far better machine for vinyl cutting, and thats all I do to make my living ... George

WVB

The CX versus the new GX model is two different things. Why the pro series do not have what the GX does is beyond me but I am sure they will in the future. I have owned a Roland and I can say the tech support is bar none. The GX has the Optical Registration. I do not believe the D60 does keep that in mind just in case you need to do contour cuts.

In any case with either machine you go with you will NOT be sorry - Period..

Barry

TVG said:
The CX versus the new GX model is two different things. Why the pro series do not have what the GX does is beyond me but I am sure they will in the future. I have owned a Roland and I can say the tech support is bar none. The GX has the Optical Registration. I do not believe the D60 does keep that in mind just in case you need to do contour cuts.

In any case with either machine you go with you will NOT be sorry - Period..
OPUS is an option on the Summa cutters.

OldPaint

what iam seein in this new GX-24 is it is the same internals as a CX-24 , but they have expanded it from 23.03 inch wide cut to a 27.5 cut capable.
DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT confuss this model with a ROLAND PRO MODEL. be it an older version of the pro machines which are starting with the PNC-1100, 950, 960, 1200,14, 18, series. these are NOT the same plotter as a CX-24. the GX-24 is $1995, a CM-300 IS near $3200....now there is a big differance in these machines....hence the higher price.
its the same as buyin a POOLAN chain saw and buying a STHIL.
THEY BOTH CUT WOOD.....but why is a POOLAN so cheap compared to a STHIL ask that question in 2 years....of using a POOLAN.

Just Me

Summa......you wont be disappointed! I have had my current one 5 yrs without skipping a beat, cutting mostly holographic, reflective and florescent materials. Summa also has great tech support, just a thought.

High Octane

I have three Rolands...I have zero complaints....tech support rocks on the Rolands too..But then again I have no experience with the Summas either...I have only heard good things about them...the thing I like about the Rolands are that I can design my stuff and then cut directly from Corel...I dig that....

3CGraphics

I have a CX 24 and have had zero trouble from it - it is the only one I have ever used so can't compare. The optical registration works well for some of the transfers I do. I got a package deal with vinyl etc for $1300 last year.

Steve