• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland PC-60 ColorCamm Pro

axgillette

I am looking into buying one of the Roland PC-60 ColorCamm Pro that according to it's current owner only has about 50 hours or less of work on it.

I have some questions before i proceed to purchase this.

I want to know if it is cost effective to use it as a print/cut system compared to other current systems out there. I realize that this is thermal. I really do not know how much you can print with each cartridge. I would like to get pasted experienced users of this machine to share some insight to this.

I have printed a lot of smaller banners. One of my most popular size is 2x10, or 3x10. Right now because i do not have a digital printer i pay wholesale what i consider to be a good price. One time i know someone told me that it would be so much cheaper if i did it on my own. Less than half of what i currently pay. Trying to keep prices out of the look here to not offend anyone. But if needed i can post them.

Will a set of cartridges on this plotter actually even print an entire 2x10 banner? Approximately how many 3x3, or 4x4 stickers can i get out of it?

Sorry, but i just never messed with anything like this. I have heard something about these machines having head problems. I do not know if it is the first generation or what, or if the head issue was fixed by the time the last generation kicked in.

Any help with this i really appreciated it. To tell you the truth, the only reason i am considering this one is because the price it right, and the owner swears it is in LIKE NEW condition. And they did have it serviced here recently. I also figure that is it a good machine to get started in the print/cut work. I have turned down a lot of work because i cannot do this, but yet we cannot budget for a larger more expensive machine right now. So i cannot justify spending a high amount right now. Maybe soon in the future i can see it happening, but for now we need to start with something.

signguy 55

As an owner of a PC 60 I cannot recommend it. It is very slow. When I first got it back in 2000 I did some decals for my truck, about 12" x 24", I think it took over 2 hours to print them. The ink head is only 1/2" at a time, I shudder to think what a banner would take to print, I'm don't think it's set up to handle banner material.

It is also very expensive to run with the cartridges, I guess they are still available, seems like Roland wasn't going to support the machine any longer, can't remember where I read that.

My pc60 now sits with a damaged print head (the second time this has happened) so I now have an extra plotter when my old Roland bites the dust.

The technology has evolved so much in the last 10 years it's amazing. The pc-60 was state of the art at the time, but certainly not now.

Put your money in something else, my 2 cents worth.

weaselboogie

These things were great for small decals because typically, you don't need to laminate and they still had an outside fade resistance of 5 years, however, there's no way that you would catch me making a banner with one of these. Too expensive for the ribbon cost and to print anything of a distance was a risk. I was thinking at one point, it was costing US around $12 psf to print full color. To outsource, it should only run a couple of dollars psf. Ribbon breaks were not a rare occurance. I've been pissed off more than once to find that 75% of the job was done and the ribbon would break and we'd have to start completely over. It was nice when we finally went with a real printer that we didn't have to babysit.

BobM

I use my PC 60 about twice a month for emergency/rush/while you wait jobs only. I charge accordingly for that service. I outsource everything else and have it back within 3-4 business days from D&T Graphics a merchant member here on Signs 101.

andy

These Roland machines were never really "state of the art"... the ribbon technology was lifted straight out of A4 desktop printers made by Citizen and ALPS.

The PC 60 was a nice idea but a complete failure... Roland dumped the machine from their range VERY quickly.

If you want to print banners this machine just ain't designed for the job.... it's a VERY poor mans alternative to the Gerber Edge.

The best advice.... save your money and put it towards a proper printer.

axgillette

WOW!, thanks for this info guys. It really does help a lot. I guess i won't be buying it since it is slow, and not cost effective, plus not worth the hassle.

Now to save up my pennies. What about a sp-300v? What ya think about that one? I have seen a few used one, even with warranty left on them ranging from 6500 to 8500.

Someone told me that roland printers are slow compared to other brands. But quality is really what i am after.

stickygraphics12

Pc60 = POS! You'll never make money!

Sp300v = $$$ & quality! You'll be more than happy you spent your money on this!

I had a pc60 and upgraded to a sp540v and it has been makin me money since the day I putchased it!

Sticky Signs

FYI, if you can get a good deal on it, take it. Than use that to get a "trade-up" discount from your Roland dealer. Could save yourself a few grand. Check with your dealer first though...

axgillette

This person is selling the pc60 for 650.00. Compared to the others i have seen out there, this is super cheap.

So some dealers will do a trade up. That is sweet. I will have to find out who does it out here in Houston.

J Hill Designs

if your two common banner sizes are 2'x10' and 3'x10' you can only produce half of your banners in house with the 300...I would wait it out

w2csa

Doesnt the PC60 produce a white image, might it be useful for clear product printing such as small static clean decals?
I agree with the SP300, good printer!