• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SC-540 Crop Mark Auto Align Problems

PMac

I have a Roland SC-540 SolJet Pro 2 EX Model. I'm having problems with the Auto Align feature. The problem is that after it reads the Base Line mark, which it does fine, as it's advancing on to the second mark the machine wants to feed the material out in little jumps, and by the time the cut head gets over to the mark it's already fed past the mark. Then the machine brings the head back and tries again. But this time in smaller jumps, but still misses the mark. It will miss the 3rd and 4th time then then it gives up. Frustrating! Is there any way to stop the machine from wanting to feed the material out as it's reading the marks? It drives me nuts!

idsignsil

I have noticed that our XC-540 does this as well. From my experience, I just release the media clams and start over. I try to get the front registration marks in line with the head so that I don't have to move the media forward or backward. Once I get it loaded and hit set up, I just move the cutter head over the first mark and hit cut in Versaworks. Sometimes it works and sometimes I have to start over again.

Ragnabrok

The printer reads the first crop mark, then the rectangle beside it. It reads the rectangle to determine if the sheet is loaded at an angle, and if it is, to skew the cut to match the sheet. What is happening is either the rectangle edges are not clean (print is fuzzy looking), or the crop mark reader is dirty/damaged, and reading the rectangle innacurately. So the printer thinks the sheet is x amount crooked, and needs to scoot the vinyl forward or backwards y amount to meet up with where the second crop mark will be.

So, if the edges of your crop marks are crisp, then likely the crop mark reader is dirty.

woolly

Any of the above posibly problem but help the machine as much as possible.
Before you print after setting up the media as straight as possible.
Use the sheet cut to cut off a few ins print and laminate as normal.
When you reload line the front edge up with the bed use the arrow keys to move the vinyl to the start position

PMac

thank you all so much for replying. i really to appreciate it. I tried cleaning the crop mark sensor. It was just a bit dirty. but no luck :-( I took the "fuzzy" thing into consideration too. so i took my laminated print to the table and used my squeegee to really press down hard to make the black really nice and crisp. still didn't help. oh well. I'll just keep manually registering my marks. it works pretty well.

I was really hoping there was some way to just turn that Feed Problem off. thanks again all!

PMac

I have noticed that our XC-540 does this as well. From my experience, I just release the media clams and start over. I try to get the front registration marks in line with the head so that I don't have to move the media forward or backward. Once I get it loaded and hit set up, I just move the cutter head over the first mark and hit cut in Versaworks. Sometimes it works and sometimes I have to start over again.
seams like, since your using Roland's Versaworks software it should be printing it's own registration marks with absolute perfection. And then Auto Align with perfection as well. I'm using a cheaper RIP called VinylMaster I got off of EBay, which for the most part works really awesome. I've always thought that had something to do with it.