• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SC540 Pro 2 Print and Cut, bringing it back to life i hope

squareba

Hello everyone, well i got my first printer this week at a bargain price as it hadn't been used for over 12 months and had been left with the ink cartridges in, and not plugged in, so i thought well if i can get it running then i have saved a few quid.

the machine itself has had only around 12 months use, and was a replacement printer so i am told paid for by the insurance company when the roof fell in on the original pro 2, then after 12 months the company folded, and the printer was given to his friend who was into litho printing, and he never had it turned on.

the machine is very clean, and i have done a lot of cleaning of the capping stations and around the heads which absolutely look like new, with no ingrained ink at all around the sides of the heads.

i have attached a photo of the test print, and i have managed to get a couple of heads back but there is a couple of things bothering me, the cyan print is wobbly, and the two yellows or black arent showing at all, not even 1 or 2 nozzles working which leads me to believe either they are totally blocked, or theres something else amiss, the light cyan is missing a damper grommet, so i have ordered some new ones so that should sort itself out, i have done around 5 powerful cleans to get to this stage and have left the capping stations soaked in solvent and the tubes to the pumps clamped, to soak the heads for a while.

any help would be appreciated, in working out what may be wrong with the black and yellow, and also looking at the capping stations im not sure if someone put the ink lines in wrong, starting from left they are Black, Cyan,Magenta,Yellow, LCyan, Lmagenta, is this right.

thank you

Alan

IMG_2546.jpg

squareba

Update

Well i just tried the capping stations, and the black is definitely gone, theres no pressure there at all, so i will get one ordered for that, also the Yellow capping station is tight as a drum, but i think the head is totally blocked, i'm getting a lot of pressure back through the syringe which is only a small one, so oi have left it under slight pressure but first just letting a bit of flush sit on the head and leave it over night, to see if anything starts coming though.

Alan

squareba

Another Update

Just so you know, here's another update while working on the machine today, i realise now not to go pulling the ribbon cables off on the heads, without unplugging it from the AC outlet, it seems even when switched off yo ucan blow the head fuses, which i have done, and after dismantling it someone had already bridged anotehr fuse across, so its happened before with this machine.

Anyway i just got some, and got told by an engineer, you don't have to have the 3.15 amp fuses, you can go down as low as 2 amps and they will still work, which was good as i couldn't get any 3.15a only 3.0a , so hopefully when my mate has soldered the SMD fuses back on with his good set of eyes, i should be back up and running, and i think this is what the problem was originally why the black head and yellow head bothe work on one fuse (F2) Cyan and Magenta on (F3) and the lcyn and lmag on (F4). so hopefully everything should be back up and running tomorrow

Alan

squareba

Someone HELP! please

Hello again well i changed all the fuses re installed and now i have an encoder strip error 110 service call.

ive had the encoder strip out cleaned it with alcohol as it was pretty grubby, and cleaned the sensor but i am still getting the service error 110, anyone any ideas please

Alan

squareba

Encoder strip problem

Hello thanks for that and yes ive done that and cleaned the encoder sensor, and gone into service menu mode and tested the encoder strip and it comes up failed, and doesn't record any distance in mm.

Also does the encoder strip just sit in the lip of the rail thats screwed on

Alan

J Hill Designs

you can try and flip it - you will have to put new hole(s) in the correct places

sounds like it might be effed tho - look at it under magnification and you can see the lines - if its all messed up, replace.

squareba

encoder

many thanks for replying, what gets me is ive been replacing the dampers, getting the heads working, and repalcing head fuses, and not one peep out of the encoder strip until i put all of the covers back on, now i cant test anything else ive done until i get thsis encoder problem fixed, also i will try spinning it, we did that on a VP and it worked,

thanks again
Alan

squareba

sensor for encoder strip question

hello all when i set up the linear encoder in the service menu, and the menu says position 0.00mm and then the head shoots off to the left to get the measurement should i see them figures go up or change as the carriage is moving along, or does it just input the measurement after the test, reason i am asking is i think the sensor may be gone and not the strip, at the moment when starting up normally the head just sits there over the capping station and moving from side to side very minutely as if its trying to find the correct place before lifting the capping station up to cover the heads, this is when it fails in normal mode and comes up with error 0010, and in service mode it just bleeps 3 times and says linear encoder failed.

Alan

MagnificentBastid

Correct you should see the values increase as it moves from one end to the other. The 0010 indicates a scan motor error.

Here is a link to the discussion on this error: http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?53330-Service-Motor-Error-0080-and-0010

Here is a link to a comprehensive list of each error code: http://www.avc-n.com/eng/review/pages/96

I also recommend initializing the limit, which you can see here (the process is the same on your roland): http://topic.ibnlive.in.com/ajit-pa...all-graphic-supplies-NxHb7WIYWcU-1881933.html

squareba

sorry wrong error code

sorry MagnificentBastid i think i put the wrong error code down, it says 0110 service call, which points to the linear encoder strip or the sensor am i correct in assuming that, and that its not a scan motor error.

It still puzzles me that this has gone, when it was working fine before i had the fuses installed on the head board, all done properly by an electronics engineer with the suitable smd soldering equipment.

Alan

squareba

Encoder now Fine

Hello, well the encoder is now fine, as explained in another thread i replaced the encoder board sensor, and the encoder strip with a generic one to save money, and still nothing. So removed the head board, as that is where the original problem eminated from, i put it back in making sure that ALL the ribbon cables were in their sockets exactly and fired her back up and the encoder sensor was now reading.

I then proceeded to do an environment match, linear encoder setup, then linear calibration. did a test print and everything the same as the first test print above, but yellow and black still not coming through, so i proceeded with new cap tops on the black and yellow, and attached a small syriinge to the black yellow drain feeds to the pump, the yellow was solid, but by maintaining a constant vacuum pressure by placing half a matchstick to support the plunger of the syringe,after a bout 10 minutes it started to fill, i am going to try the black again today with the syringe to see if that help but some black was coming through before, but yet still not one nozzle is firing in the black head.

I tried chainging the head cables and blew the fuses last time because the machine was still plugged in the ac outlet, if i disconnect it fully and discharge the caps by switching on etc, can i swap the head ribbon cables with cyan to see if the black heads working or will that break somethnig else.

also has anyone got an image of an SC540 print out thats fully working so i know what it should eventually look like.

thanks

Alan

squareba

Fuse F4

well it turns out. one of the head fuses F4 blows when doing a test print. I just replaced all three and checked them in situ, and they were all working, did a test print and Cyan and Black still arent showing switched it off checked fuses and F4 was gone, so how do i check which head it is thats blowing a fuse as there are two on each one.

Anyone any ideas

thanks

Alan