• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland service near Pittsburgh?

Jason Thomas

Looking for any available Roland tech in the Pittsburgh PA area. My VS-540i has been showing some missing nozzles in the Cyan and banding when printing solid blues. I was quoted $3,200 for a print head and cap assembly replacement. It's been a few years since I've had any Roland machines that need a print head... just want to know if this is the going rate and if there are any reputable techs in the area.

Patrick92

Looking for any available Roland tech in the Pittsburgh PA area. My VS-540i has been showing some missing nozzles in the Cyan and banding when printing solid blues. I was quoted $3,200 for a print head and cap assembly replacement. It's been a few years since I've had any Roland machines that need a print head... just want to know if this is the going rate and if there are any reputable techs in the area.
Have you been able to find a print tech in or near Pittsburgh? Please let me know if you ever did. Thanks.

Lucid

That’s a shame. I’m about to give up on ever having this printer work decent again and just trash this thing.
Before giving up, have you considered working on it yourself? I've been posting to this forum about a printer I'm currently fixing (I'm not a service tech) hoping to provide some solutions to people with the same machine, or inspiration for people with other machines, and maybe if I'm lucky someone here will be able to help me out.
After being in the printing business a few years now on a different UV printer, I've come to the conclusion that if you're going to be in the printing business, you better be willing to sign up for the printer repair business too. Otherwise, outsource the printing work.

Patrick92

Before giving up, have you considered working on it yourself? I've been posting to this forum about a printer I'm currently fixing (I'm not a service tech) hoping to provide some solutions to people with the same machine, or inspiration for people with other machines, and maybe if I'm lucky someone here will be able to help me out.
After being in the printing business a few years now on a different UV printer, I've come to the conclusion that if you're going to be in the printing business, you better be willing to sign up for the printer repair business too. Otherwise, outsource the printing work.
I appreciate the advice. I’ve done a few repairs on it, and it seems as though every time I touch it, it gets worse unfortunately. I recently cleaned the flex cables (pins) that connect to the print heads. After this, the black and cyan aren’t even printing. I’ll have to double check to make sure they’re connected properly. But at this point I feel as though it’s a lost cause. And you’re right, if you have a wide format printer, you better be prepared to become a tech.

But I’m at peace now. Buying my printer and laminator was probably the worst investment I could’ve made. I definitely should’ve done more research before making that purchase a number of years ago. All well.

Lucid

I appreciate the advice. I’ve done a few repairs on it, and it seems as though every time I touch it, it gets worse unfortunately. I recently cleaned the flex cables (pins) that connect to the print heads. After this, the black and cyan aren’t even printing. I’ll have to double check to make sure they’re connected properly. But at this point I feel as though it’s a lost cause. And you’re right, if you have a wide format printer, you better be prepared to become a tech.

But I’m at peace now. Buying my printer and laminator was probably the worst investment I could’ve made. I definitely should’ve done more research before making that purchase a number of years ago. All well.

Yeah, I'll say I had no idea how much work it was going to be either. I would agree that my printer would have been a terrible investment if I didn't end up learning how to keep it running. Obviously that doesn't work for everyone and it's not even something I enjoy doing. It's been a learning experience.

Patrick92

Yeah, I'll say I had no idea how much work it was going to be either. I would agree that my printer would have been a terrible investment if I didn't end up learning how to keep it running. Obviously that doesn't work for everyone and it's not even something I enjoy doing. It's been a learning experience.
I don’t actually mind tinkering with it. The machine is just way too fickle. I touch it, or look at it the wrong way and little black lines start showing up randomly on my prints. Then in an effort to correct that, half of the colors aren’t printing. I mean, I’m a pretty handy guy. I changed careers to hvac/plumbing, so I’m pretty competent in problem solving, etc. But this experience has been awful for me. Enough crying from me though…

I appreciate people’s input. If this thing does get corrected, then I will share the process.