• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SG-540 error 0380 (0001)

2ny

Hi.
We have a Roland SG-540 that stopped in the middle of the automatic cleaning process when it was turned on.
It then showed error 0380 (0001). in the display. (This means that the printer head number 1 has issues with the ink.)
I turned the printer off on both the sub -and main power, and when I turned it on again it worked fine.
This happened a few times, and one day when the printer was left for long enough after a printjob to go into sleeping mode, it then got the error when i woke it up to continue printing. I still could get rid off the error by turning it all the way off and on again. But in the end this too stopped working, and the printer would run into the error in its daily automatic cleaning. So, I had to shut it down completely to avoid the heads drying out -I observed that when the printer stopped with the error message one time, it stopped the heads a little off the capping station, so they would have dried out if I just had left it.

Now I have had some correspondance with our tec, and he has the opinion that the head in question is broken. He reported that the number 0380 means that the damper does not have the right movements to indicate that the damper is filled with ink correctly. There are sensors that detect how the arms connecting with the dampersides behave as the ink is filling on the channels. I have observed these, and the left damper with Cyan has erratic behaviour. The damper is filled with so much ink it forces the arm quite a distance from the sensor, and not one of the other arms/dampers does this. When the arm is at its peak to the left, it stops with the error message.

Now all this should be history by now, but thanks to Covid-19 our tec can not come visit from his town to ours, as there are rules and such to regulate plain travels all over.
So, I thought why not get it out here and see if someone else has had this issue, and has valuable input on the matter?
Any insights and advice is appreciated.

P.S.
Our tec asked if I would like to try to change the head myself, but I declined.
I have changed quite a few on our SP-300, but have been told that this SG-540 are quite something different to fix.

Best regards
Tony

Joe House

Hi Tony,

SG heads are different, but I think they're easier than DX4 heads as there's no mechanical adjustments other than making sure the head is installed all the way down and flat with the carriage (which is the trick with these).

But it may be simpler than that. If the pumps keep trying to fill the damper then usually the sensor is not working correctly and it could be as simple as some dust in the sensor. The printer would think that the flag is still in the sensor and keep pumping till it times out still thinking that the damper isn't full. Since you're already in there, try blowing it out with some canned air (don't use compressed air unless it's gone through a dryer and oil separator).
If you still have the problem, then try switching out that sensor with another one. Be careful as the little tabs can break off if you don't do this right. But sensors are relatively cheap so I would try this before getting a new print head.

Good Luck and stay safe,

Joe

wes70

I had the same issue (code) several times with my vg. The tec replace the sensors for the dampers. Works great now!

2ny

Hi Tony,

SG heads are different, but I think they're easier than DX4 heads as there's no mechanical adjustments other than making sure the head is installed all the way down and flat with the carriage (which is the trick with these).

But it may be simpler than that. If the pumps keep trying to fill the damper then usually the sensor is not working correctly and it could be as simple as some dust in the sensor. The printer would think that the flag is still in the sensor and keep pumping till it times out still thinking that the damper isn't full. Since you're already in there, try blowing it out with some canned air (don't use compressed air unless it's gone through a dryer and oil separator).
If you still have the problem, then try switching out that sensor with another one. Be careful as the little tabs can break off if you don't do this right. But sensors are relatively cheap so I would try this before getting a new print head.

Good Luck and stay safe,

Joe

Thank you for your reply Joe. I have ordered the sensor and will try this first.
You mention little tabs on the sensor -I can see that the sensors are held in place by a plate from underneath with 2 screws in it. When I remove this plate, will the sensor then have to be moved sideways to loosen, or is it a straight up-and-down movement that will do the trick?

Is there available any descriptions online that shows the procedure for the various operations to maintain/fix this machine? I have step-to-step instructions on how to fix our SP-300 printer, but I have none when it comes to the SG-540. If I am to change the head later I will have to obtain instructions for this first.

Best regards
Tony

TFBen

Thank you for your reply Joe. I have ordered the sensor and will try this first.
You mention little tabs on the sensor -I can see that the sensors are held in place by a plate from underneath with 2 screws in it. When I remove this plate, will the sensor then have to be moved sideways to loosen, or is it a straight up-and-down movement that will do the trick?

Is there available any descriptions online that shows the procedure for the various operations to maintain/fix this machine? I have step-to-step instructions on how to fix our SP-300 printer, but I have none when it comes to the SG-540. If I am to change the head later I will have to obtain instructions for this first.

Best regards
Tony
Tony,
I am having the same exact issue that you had. Service call 0380 0001, VG-640 with the latest firmware running TR2 inks. I replaced the damper fill sensor, but I am still having the same error. I checked the voltage at the new sensor and it is working as it should when the damper arm moves in and out of it. Wiring harness from the sensor to the board has also been continuity checked. The damper and printhead have also been replaced. The pump has been taken apart and checked. It's like the control board isn't seeing the sensor input and keeps overfilling the damper alarming out and leaking ink from the printhead. I just wanted to reach out and see what you ended up doing to fix the problem?
Thanks, Ben.

2ny

Tony,
I am having the same exact issue that you had. Service call 0380 0001, VG-640 with the latest firmware running TR2 inks. I replaced the damper fill sensor, but I am still having the same error. I checked the voltage at the new sensor and it is working as it should when the damper arm moves in and out of it. Wiring harness from the sensor to the board has also been continuity checked. The damper and printhead have also been replaced. The pump has been taken apart and checked. It's like the control board isn't seeing the sensor input and keeps overfilling the damper alarming out and leaking ink from the printhead. I just wanted to reach out and see what you ended up doing to fix the problem?
Thanks, Ben.
Hi TFBen.
I replaced the sensor, and that did the trick for us. I guess we got lucky. ;)
I hope you find out what causes this for you. It's a total pain when these machines don't work as they should and throws you a curveball once in a while.

Best regards
Tony