• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Soljet ProIII XC-540 cut depth problems - help

mmblarg

Hey all! We are currently working with our go-to tech guy, but this issue is a pretty big mystery with a lot of back and forth, so I'm just throwing it on here in case any of you have experienced this before.

Our Roland 54 no longer cuts consistently from day to day and even job to job. Here's the rundown:

Problem started with inconsistent cuts in each job - half a job would cut well and weed without issue and then the other half wouldn't cut through at all or even score the material and our blades constantly broke. The force was originally set to 160 (which our tech guy started out insisting this was the issue - blade was too far out and force was too high.)

We replaced the protective cutter strip - the old one had channels and indents that we were certain were causing the original inconsistency.

We've replaced the blade and double checked that the tip barely protrudes by about 1/64th of an inch (roughly half the thickness of a credit card) and force was set at 100 for 3M IJ35-C vinyl with glossy lam.

Now the fun part! This will work perfectly on three or four jobs, maybe even a whole day, and then something goes stupid. In an instant the Roland wont cut through at all at 100 force. The (still brand new) blade has no damage. We do test cuts at different forces. It's up at 300 before it cuts through - mind you, it shouldn't even be over 120 since that's the point of cutting through the backer. Send a small run just to see if it even cuts consistently. Nope. It cuts all corners but not straight-aways. I've attached pictures.

IMG_2994.jpg IMG_2996.jpg

The weird thing is that this cycle resets every time we test a new blade (we have sets of blades from different manufacturers in case it was just a bad batch/manufacturer - all blades, all manufacturers, perform with the same results: cuts great at 75-100 force and then something just craps out with zero visible damage to the blade.

So, any ideas guys?

Terry01

Bearing isn't seized in the holder is it??..May need to pull the holder apart and give it a clean up and lube.

mmblarg

Bearing isn't seized in the holder is it??..May need to pull the holder apart and give it a clean up and lube.
Told the bossman about this and apparently they had done that last week. Cleaned and lubed. Thank you for the suggestion!
I'd replace the cut carriage cable and guides next.
I'll pass this along and see what they think (they as in owner and manager - I stay out of the more technical repairs ha)

Alphonso

Old topic but I had the same issue, replace the cut carriage cable, when it's worn out the cut pressure is very inconsistent.