• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland SP-540v flashes "Service Mode" but then quickly jumps out of Service Mode... I'm stumped...

crgrove

So, yesterday I changed out a liner encoder strip on our Roland SP-540v (firmware 6.3) and, although it prints the image still "skews". I figured I'd need to do the "Linear Encoder Setup" as per the Service manual.

I attempted AS I HAVE DONE IN THE PAST to enter service mode... the usual, start from sub-power off then down>right>left>up>right>down>left [left-down-right-power] procedure which I've used before, HOWEVER, it displays "Service Mode" for between a quarter of a second, up to a few seconds, and then seems to LEAVE service mode and either power back off OR show "setup".

I've never had that happen before! I've tried completely unplugging and starting over but the same issue happens.

I've left it unplugged for a few minutes OR I've just tried over and over. Same flash of "Service Mode" then back out of it.

I've tried with the cover on... cover off... media in... no media... lever up... lever down... severe cussing!!!... quickly... slowly... more cussing, in case it wasn't enough before... static discharge... everything.

I'm stumped! Any ideas?

How does one do a firmware update, IF INDEED that would help?

Thanks,
Christopher

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Once it boots up, you should be able to go into the menu and there will just be new item called Service Menu. In my experience it usually doesn't look like you've made it into service mode until you go into the menu and see the new item.

crgrove

Once it boots up, you should be able to go into the menu and there will just be new item called Service Menu. In my experience it usually doesn't look like you've made it into service mode until you go into the menu and see the new item.
OOOOHHHH.... MYYYYYY.... GAAAWWDDD!!! That's it!!! LOLOLOL
I can't believe that it worked!
From my experience in the past it just showed "Service Mode" and that little "carriage return" menu symbol until you did something!

Thank you for your help!!! :)

Okay... how do I "complete" this post with "problem solved"??