• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP-540V - Shows up as SP-??? - Firmware Reset?

JessHarris

We have a Roland SP-540V and after a power outage, it won't POST.

When powering on from the front panel, the display lights up but shows "SP-???" instead of showing the model number - then shortly after ERROR 0101.

From the computer, using the InterCon-Net Tool, it also shows the model number as "SP-???".

I can ping the given IP for the Roland just fine.

Is this one of those situations where I need the "Peck Tool" to reload the firmware, or is there a way I can factory default the firmware?

Does anyone have the Peck tool for the Roland SP-540v?

Thank you for any help!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Run the limit position initialization function. It will tell the machine what size it is and then it will know it's an SP-540. Your machine's battery is probably dead as well.

JessHarris

Run the limit position initialization function. It will tell the machine what size it is and then it will know it's an SP-540. Your machine's battery is probably dead as well.
When we try to run the limit position initialization - it makes a grinding sound coming from the tool carriage, the tool carriage moves about 1 inch to the left, then stops with SCAN MOTOR ERROR 0080.

We have tried other advice on this forum eg:
gently clean the track
drops of 3in1 oil on the track
3in1 oil on the cable that travels left to right
drop of 3in1 oil on the scan motor

tool carriage and print carriage both move fairly easily with finger touch

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When we try to run the limit position initialization - it makes a grinding sound coming from the tool carriage, the tool carriage moves about 1 inch to the left, then stops with SCAN MOTOR ERROR 0080.

We have tried other advice on this forum eg:
gently clean the track
drops of 3in1 oil on the track
3in1 oil on the cable that travels left to right
drop of 3in1 oil on the scan motor

tool carriage and print carriage both move fairly easily with finger touch

In that case it might be damage to the servo board. I've never seen a power surge break a motor but it could cause damage to the servo board. It could be other things but from what you describe, that's the direction I'm thinking.

JessHarris

OK we have a working printer!

Problem was: User Error in conducting Limit Initialization

I was NOT manually moving the tool carriage to the left/cut-down position at that point in the test.

After correctly performing the Limit Initialization - the printer now correctly reports SP-540v upon bootup AND it prints jobs!

MY ONLY ISSUE is that in versaworks the color profile has been defaulted - and red prints out looking orange, and yellow has a green tinge to it.

Have tried several combinations of profiles and even selecting Roland CMYK profile colors within flexi/AI - but cannot get my red to print out actually red.

Any suggestions or should I open new thread?

THANK YOU SOLVENTINKJET!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
OK we have a working printer!

Problem was: User Error in conducting Limit Initialization

I was NOT manually moving the tool carriage to the left/cut-down position at that point in the test.

After correctly performing the Limit Initialization - the printer now correctly reports SP-540v upon bootup AND it prints jobs!

MY ONLY ISSUE is that in versaworks the color profile has been defaulted - and red prints out looking orange, and yellow has a green tinge to it.

Have tried several combinations of profiles and even selecting Roland CMYK profile colors within flexi/AI - but cannot get my red to print out actually red.

Any suggestions or should I open new thread?

THANK YOU SOLVENTINKJET!
Sweet!

Check your nozzle test. Is there any cross contamination happening? Sounds like the yellow and magenta might be mixing. It would be weird for Cyan to get into the yellow to make it green because they have different heads and cap tops but there is a Y connector that connects the cap tops so it's possible.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
If your test print shows all the nozzles are firing, might need to replace the cap tops and potentially the dampers if they are over 6 months old.