• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP-540V - what on earth???

charlie62

My Roland has been driving me nuts for almost 2 weeks now. Never mind what it did to my production!
I've attached 3 photos. These are all stamp stickers, 25x30 mm, cut in 5 batches of 250 x 300 mm each accross the width of the material.

Roland1 is on the Left of the printer (away from the control panel). I've marked the cutting marks in black pen. It should, of course, cut nicely between the photos. The guy with the moustache was printed first and as you can see, came out all messed up.
The grey hair guy was printed next, and was cut quite acceptable.
But look on Roland2 (the left side of the printer). The first batch of Mr Moustache, was cut correctly (from the 2nd batch it became all out of line. But instead of the 10mm gap that should be between jobs, Mr Grey started to print (on the right) over Mr Moustache. The gap between the 2 jobs became progressively wider towards the left.

We have just replaced the linear encoder and the encoder sensor but it did not solve this problem.

And then the 3rd photo happened. Might this be the feed motor? I should mention that there was still some slack in the media at the back since I always roll it down by hand.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Roland 1.jpg
    Roland 1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 90
  • Roland2 jpg.jpg
    Roland2 jpg.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Roland 3.jpg
    Roland 3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 105

Vinyldog

That's what I've been told. You have to re-calibrate the machine after installing an encoder strip. You might try doing the environmental match.

charlie62

Solution

OK, after much frustration and down time, I think we eventually found the reason for the problem when a tech with a greater than average knowledge and experienced suggested that the feed motor and/or grit roller, might need fastening.
The tech forcibly removed the cover from the feed motor and then very carefully fastened the screws on either side of the encoder. He also fastened the allen nut of the grit roller.

I've also replaced the cutting strip and it seems as if my problems are now solved.