• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

roland sp540v contour cutting problem.... so frustrated HELP PLEASE!!!

mindlesswonders

I have an sp540v and its a great printer, but yesterday I was contour cutting some decals and everything was going great until.., I pulled the media off the printer to weed it.... it didn't cut.... not even scratch..... I did a test cut and again the carriage was looking like it was cutting but... nothing!!! the contour blade isn't dropping down. Is there something wrong? Obviously.... but I cant figure it out. Im thinking its in need of a new scan motor but I need to try everything first before spending $400 for a new one. ANY INFO WLL BE GREATLY APRECIATED

Thanks
Mindless Wonders

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Check your blade holder to make sure the blade isn't being pushed up into the holder when pressure is put on the blade. If you watch the blade as it cuts and it just doesn't push down at all, your cut solenoid could be fried or something is interrupting the signal to the cutter head.

mindlesswonders

Check your blade holder to make sure the blade isn't being pushed up into the holder when pressure is put on the blade. If you watch the blade as it cuts and it just doesn't push down at all, your cut solenoid could be fried or something is interrupting the signal to the cutter head.

Thank you for the info

yes that's exactly what is going on. Its just not pushing down, How or what should I do?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Most likely the solenoid fried. Take a good look around the cut head. You might see a burn mark around the part that looks like an electromagnet or you might have smelt it at some point. Someone on Signs101 might have a better way to test if it is fried. Usually you will need to replace the entire cut head assembly. It could also be a main board or cable issue but I would start with replacing the cut head.

mindlesswonders

Most likely the solenoid fried. Take a good look around the cut head. You might see a burn mark around the part that looks like an electromagnet or you might have smelt it at some point. Someone on Signs101 might have a better way to test if it is fried. Usually you will need to replace the entire cut head assembly. It could also be a main board or cable issue but I would start with replacing the cut head.

Ok, Ill take a look at that, I didn't smell anything but what your saying sounds right. how much is that part to replace?

phototec

If it was me (or when this happen to my SP-540V), I would remove the electromagnet solenoid and try to determine the voltage and see If I applied voltage to it to see if it would work, if the solenoid works (goes in and out) the problem is something else, (cable, or something is interrupting the signal to the cutter head), if the solenoid does NOT move when energized, then just replace the solenoid.

:thumb:

techsign33

- Check the cable which out from solenoid connected to cutting board.
- Check the data cable in cutting board which connect to servo board are connected and if there is any cutting on the cable this cable trans the signal and volt to solenoid .

chartle

It could be the long ribbon cable that connects the cut carriage to the main board. I have replaced two in 6 years.

Not sure if this is the cable techsign33 is referring to .

Though for me it would pop up and down erratically before it stopped all together.