• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP540v Main Board _ who speaks circuit board language?

Mollie Orbea

Hello! I'm new to the forum, although I have found very useful information in the past just looking at other's issues. So first off, I want to thank you all for sharing your knowledge and insight!
Like a few other SP540V users, I too have blown the F2 Fuse that controls the Black/Cyan Print Head. This has happened ever so often over the years and having the fuse replaced typically gets me back up and running.
I also had new transistors put in one of the times (although now I can't really recall why that was?...was the power not turning on, or was it just continuing to blow the fuse? [sorry if you are looking to this thread for help, if I come across my notes and can recall for certain...I'll try to add that info.] )

This time around when the F2 went out, I happened to have a multimeter and soldering gun in my sight, so I thought, "hmm maybe I can do this". I had never soldered anything in my life and I don't know really anything about circuit boards. The fuse I soldered on, has a good reading.. so I think that is ok. Although in the process the PC76 (diode?) fell off and I dont know if that is back on correctly...as it has very high reading and I think it is maybe suppose to be doing the opposite. Looking at my before images and as I was working on the board, it looks like the guy I had helping me solder before had accidentally knocked it off and soldered it on. I don't even think my soldering gun bumped it but for a partial second, it was more like it just fell off vs. being unsoldered. In all fairness to him, the printer has been working for years with it how he had soldered it back on...so that wasn't originally my issue. But I'm pretty certain it is now.

Is there anyone out there that would like to answer my questions about the main board?

Is the tiny component on the board next to the F2 fuse, labeled PC76 a diode?
Are those specific diodes available someplace you know of?
If that diode was damaged or not functioning properly would it cause the power not to turn on? (The main power at the outlet....no lights, nothing. Just a little noise).

Someone suggested that my board has burned out. And that the Power Transformer on the main board may need to be replaced.

What exactly does the board burning out mean?....just that PC76 diode, or something more?
What component on the main board is the power transformer and how do I test it with a multimeter to see if it is good or bad?

I know I had no business messing around with the circuit board, but I had no business without messing around with the circuit board...so here I am. The printer is not under warranty. I am mostly mommy these days vs. signmaker, so just buying a new main board isn't my solution.
I will probably send it off to Macmedia to have it worked on.
I would prefer to have it fixed now...the sooner the better. Also I am just too curious and impatient to know what the problem is....so I figured I'd ask people that are more in the know.
Thank you in advance for your help,
Mollie

jluiescalante

Hello! I'm new to the forum, although I have found very useful information in the past just looking at other's issues. So first off, I want to thank you all for sharing your knowledge and insight!
Like a few other SP540V users, I too have blown the F2 Fuse that controls the Black/Cyan Print Head. This has happened ever so often over the years and having the fuse replaced typically gets me back up and running.
I also had new transistors put in one of the times (although now I can't really recall why that was?...was the power not turning on, or was it just continuing to blow the fuse? [sorry if you are looking to this thread for help, if I come across my notes and can recall for certain...I'll try to add that info.] )

This time around when the F2 went out, I happened to have a multimeter and soldering gun in my sight, so I thought, "hmm maybe I can do this". I had never soldered anything in my life and I don't know really anything about circuit boards. The fuse I soldered on, has a good reading.. so I think that is ok. Although in the process the PC76 (diode?) fell off and I dont know if that is back on correctly...as it has very high reading and I think it is maybe suppose to be doing the opposite. Looking at my before images and as I was working on the board, it looks like the guy I had helping me solder before had accidentally knocked it off and soldered it on. I don't even think my soldering gun bumped it but for a partial second, it was more like it just fell off vs. being unsoldered. In all fairness to him, the printer has been working for years with it how he had soldered it back on...so that wasn't originally my issue. But I'm pretty certain it is now.

Is there anyone out there that would like to answer my questions about the main board?

If that diode was damaged or not functioning properly would it cause the power not to turn on? (The main power at the outlet....no lights, nothing. Just a little noise).

Someone suggested that my board has burned out. And that the Power Transformer on the main board may need to be replaced.

What exactly does the board burning out mean?....just that PC76 diode, or something more?
What component on the main board is the power transformer and how do I test it with a multimeter to see if it is good or bad?

I know I had no business messing around with the circuit board, but I had no business without messing around with the circuit board...so here I am. The printer is not under warranty. I am mostly mommy these days vs. signmaker, so just buying a new main board isn't my solution.
I would prefer to have it fixed now...the sooner the better. Also I am just too curious and impatient to know what the problem is....so I figured I'd ask people that are more in the know.
Mollie

Mollie

hello you need to send the board to a qualified service board center , l know a guy in california
if you want his info just let me know.
he is really good with board repairs.