• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Stika-15 wont cut deep enough

usaski1

I just bought a roland stika 15inch cutter, set it up, and I cant get a good cut out of it... All too light, even on the test piece of vinyl... I also adjusted the blade, and it should be cutting through the backing paper! that blade is sticking way out of the blade holder! At the moment, it is cutting lines in my vinyl, but not deep enough... I was looking for downforce setting ect... (but there isnt one with a stika)

Valentino

new blade.

suprisingly walmart has roland blades, no joke, they have a CriCut baby plotter for scrapbooking and they have blades that are roland type blades. in the craft department.

Ken

Did you try other vinyl other than the test piece? Maybe a thinner vinyl will be better?
Ken

VinylCraft

Wow !! Are you kidding me. They might as well carry vinyl to boot.

new blade.

suprisingly walmart has roland blades, no joke, they have a CriCut baby plotter for scrapbooking and they have blades that are roland type blades. in the craft department.

Valentino

NO JOKE AT ALL, I got a pack the other day, it made me laugh, and low and behold they fit my roland blade holder which I have mocked up to fit in my graphtec. lol. just a fun project, it cuts vinyl ok, but I'll stick to the real graphtec blades.

usaski1

Cutter is brand new so blade is not dull...

Im cutting on the test piece of vinyl... It gets lines on the vinyl, but not deep enough... I adjusted the depth of the blade, and it seems like I should be plowing a field with it! cutting through the backing should be no problem, I have it as far down as it will go...

Ken

No, Stika does not adjust downforce..If it is new..send it back.
If no warranty..add some weight to the cutterhead. Really not a recommended thing to do..worth a try.
Ken

optmgfx

Are you using the test piece that came with the machine? If you are try another piece. I bought a 12" years ago (which is how I got started in the business) and I couldn't get it to cut the sample but it cut all the way thru good vinyl that I purchased. There is no downforce setting on my machine. You may want to call tech support if you bought it from a supplier. Signwarehouse.com techs are usually very helpful even if you didn't buy the product from them. I have called them on several issues on equipment I bought second hand and they have been very helpful to me.

usaski1

Tryed different piece of vinyl... no dice... You dont suppose tech support is open on weekends?! :) Getting depressed because this cutter may be a lemon...

gvgraphics

Tryed different piece of vinyl... no dice... You dont suppose tech support is open on weekends?! :) Getting depressed because this cutter may be a lemon...

well.............Its not much bigger than a lemon. :)

I would send it back for a replacement. All the stikas have are blade adjustment and if that is not working, not much more you can do.

Have you made sure the blade holder is inserted correctly?

usaski1

I bought it from gregory inc on ebay.. it said it was a new one... gregory says it wont take back anything sold on e-bay... uh oh... not totally convinced it is broken... but not too hopefull...

usaski1

I figured it out... For some reason or other, 45 degree blades (like the one it shipped with) wont cut the vinyl im trying to cut.. Which is strange, because it i think its fairly standard vinyl. I put a 60 degree in there, and it cut like butter, went through the backing! I have to tone it down a bit... At least I know my machine is not broken!

Mark

barbnd

I have a Stika and have never had that problem - but be sure to look into the properties of the printer - you can adjust many things in the tabs and make sure your blade holder is held firmly so it doesn't move as the blade cuts. You can turn the blade holder so the tip of the blade comes out more, but it sounds like you have done that already. My blade barely shows out of the holder and cuts just fine with 45's...

DRamm76

USASK1-While I am sure the 60 degree blade would have no problem cutting the test material, I am 100% certain that the 45 degree blade should do it also. You mentioned that you had the blade sticking all the way out. This is a very common mistake. The blade should not be sticking out very far at all. What happens is when too much of the blade is showing the tip could easily break off causing your cuts to be unclean and unfinished. I am willing to bet if you popped another 45 degree blade in there it would work with the blade set properly. Hope this helps.