• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland TrueVis

ProPDF

If it is in fact running the Ricoh GH2220 heads. Do the ink bags come with any chip system per cartridge if someone wanted to run bulk ink?

2B

with the bags, are they emptied by vacuum pull or gravity?
Do you have to agitate the bag? how do they get agitated, squeeze the bag or take out of the machine and shake like the current cartridges

CanuckSigns

Is it a single head unit or is there a head for each color that can be replaced?

CMYK, 7 color...?

How long is outgas time?

How well does it track when printing?

How well does it track when cutting laminated prints?

How fast for vinyl?

How fast for banners?

there are 4 heads in total. We are running dual CMYK, but LC, LM & white are an option, not sure if metallic will be an option or not in the future.

outgas time is 1 hour from what my dealer told me, we have noticed the prints are much drier off the machine than our old VS-540. Also the scratch resistance is amazing!

I can print a 4x8 on vinyl in 10-12 minutes, banner would be around 8 minutes.

I havn't had a chance to cut long prints with the machine yet, but I see no issues why it wouldn't work well.

CanuckSigns

If it is in fact running the Ricoh GH2220 heads. Do the ink bags come with any chip system per cartridge if someone wanted to run bulk ink?

The bags have an RFID chip in them, as of right now I don't think anyone is making a bulk ink system for this machine.

Saying that, the ink is cheaper than the previous eco-sol max we used to use, and larger.

CanuckSigns

with the bags, are they emptied by vacuum pull or gravity?
Do you have to agitate the bag? how do they get agitated, squeeze the bag or take out of the machine and shake like the current cartridges

They are emptied by vacuum pull. The bags have a plastic housing on one end that clips into a tray in the machine, so to change bags you slide out the tray, unclip the old bag, clip in the new and slide the tray back in. So far the machine has not asked me to agitate the ink.

Nick24

Roland Truevis vg 540

Hello, i am also interested in getting a Roland Truevis, I already talked with a supplier, went to a demo. I have seen the printer at work no smells, quiet, printed pretty fast on canvas and vinyl, looked pretty dry when it came out of the printer but when asking about out gassing the dealer never told me that it takes only 1 hour to outgass. They said that depends on the media. So long story short If somebody who experienced real life outgassing after printing on this printer could share their experience i would appreciate that. Interested in buying this printer but need an answer on the outgassing time.
Thank you

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Hello, i am also interested in getting a Roland Truevis, I already talked with a supplier, went to a demo. I have seen the printer at work no smells, quiet, printed pretty fast on canvas and vinyl, looked pretty dry when it came out of the printer but when asking about out gassing the dealer never told me that it takes only 1 hour to outgass. They said that depends on the media. So long story short If somebody who experienced real life outgassing after printing on this printer could share their experience i would appreciate that. Interested in buying this printer but need an answer on the outgassing time.
Thank you

You would be extremely lucky to get an hour to outgas, especially on heavy coverage like you would use on canvas. Go do a demo on an HP-360 with canvas and vinyl, that should change your mind about a Roland real quick.

oksigns

Thank you

an hour maybe for common media that is profiled correctly, but, I know on my XR640, I _HAVE_ to give banners atleast 6-8 hours before handing off to the customer and I still warn them not to let the faces touch. Thank goodness for fixative.

Nick24

there are 4 heads in total. We are running dual CMYK, but LC, LM & white are an option, not sure if metallic will be an option or not in the future.

outgas time is 1 hour from what my dealer told me, we have noticed the prints are much drier off the machine than our old VS-540. Also the scratch resistance is amazing!

I can print a 4x8 on vinyl in 10-12 minutes, banner would be around 8 minutes.

I havn't had a chance to cut long prints with the machine yet, but I see no issues why it wouldn't work well.

Hello maybe can you help me with an answer since you have a Truevis. I know that you said that the dealer said to you that the outgass is 1 hour but can you tell me whats the real outgass time that you've experienced? What type of media?scratch resistance is better than with eco sol or how similar to latex if you experience the difference? How good is the print quality? Is it a good investment and if its possible how much did you pay for it so I would know how can I negotiate with the dealer?
thank you
any answer would be awesome
planning on buying one had a demo , going for a latex demo next week

Nick24

Hello watson signs maybe can you help me with an answer since you have a Truevis. I know that you said that the dealer said to you that the outgass is 1 hour but can you tell me whats the real outgass time that you've experienced? What type of media?scratch resistance is better than with eco sol or how similar to latex if you experience the difference? How good is the print quality? Is it a good investment and if its possible how much did you pay for it so I would know how can I negotiate with the dealer?
thank you

CanuckSigns

Hello watson signs maybe can you help me with an answer since you have a Truevis. I know that you said that the dealer said to you that the outgass is 1 hour but can you tell me whats the real outgass time that you've experienced? What type of media?scratch resistance is better than with eco sol or how similar to latex if you experience the difference? How good is the print quality? Is it a good investment and if its possible how much did you pay for it so I would know how can I negotiate with the dealer?
thank you

Yes the dealer told me 1 hour outgas time, I believe it, the prints are dry to the touch as soon as they clear the heater. I've laminated the prints after an hour with no issues so far.

Scratch resistance is absolutely amazing! I can take my fingernail and scratch the cr@p out of a print 5 minutes after its off the printer and it doesn't leave a mark.

Print quality is great, it's on par with the other Roland's I've owned, but it's much faster than our previous vp540, which used to take about 25 minutes to print a 4x8 print on vinyl, the true vis does it in 12 minutes.

Overall I'm very happy, all the issues I've had are related to the new version of versaworks the printer uses, but they are co staantly updating it so I hope they will be resolved soon.

I can't compare the printer to a.latex as I have never used one, however our designer used a first generation latex machine at the last shop he worked at and he told me her prefers the Roland, said the latex was made of plastic and constantly breaking.

Hope this helps.

CanuckSigns

Can you elaborate? Anything major? eyeing one to replace one of our existing 540s to live along side a 640. Thx.

Sure, we have noticed that certain profiles lay down WAY too much ink in black areas, to the point where the ink looks embossed it's so thick, our tech is pretty sure versaworks isn't respecting the ink limits in certain profiles and laying down 100 100 100 100 in these areas. It doesn't happen on files we create ourselves, only some client supplied files, we have developed a workaround for the time being, but Roland should be able to fix it in versaworks update.

Also the printer seems to lay down a extremely fine layer of magenta on areas that should be white, it's so fine you can't notice it without getting so close your nose touches the vinyl, but it is there.

Other than those 2 items, everything seems to be good, and both of those things are versaworks issues, not printer issues, so they should be an easier fix.

oksigns

Sure, we have noticed that certain profiles lay down WAY too much ink in black areas, to the point where the ink looks embossed it's so thick, our tech is pretty sure versaworks isn't respecting the ink limits in certain profiles and laying down 100 100 100 100 in these areas. It doesn't happen on files we create ourselves, only some client supplied files, we have developed a workaround for the time being, but Roland should be able to fix it in versaworks update.

Also the printer seems to lay down a extremely fine layer of magenta on areas that should be white, it's so fine you can't notice it without getting so close your nose touches the vinyl, but it is there.

Other than those 2 items, everything seems to be good, and both of those things are versaworks issues, not printer issues, so they should be an easier fix.

you should confirm on those client files if the blacks are specified as "Register" - that would explain it as VW knows this and throws down the richest blacks - the same as register marks for crops

CanuckSigns

you should confirm on those client files if the blacks are specified as "Register" - that would explain it as VW knows this and throws down the richest blacks - the same as register marks for crops

Yeah i've run into this before on our last roland, but it is not the case this time, it's happening even in bitmap images.

KevinF

Did you buy the 54 or the 64 inch version. Have you had any problems with the take up reel?
Thank Youfor your help

yukon

We had the same fine layer of magenta for years tried to figure it out - back and forth with Roland & our distributor. Never figured it out. Then, like magic, finally it was gone after upgrading to Windows 10! (previously was running Win 8)

Question about the TrueVis: Are the ink bags able to be removed and reinserted prior to them being empty?

Thanks!

CanuckSigns

Did you buy the 54 or the 64 inch version. Have you had any problems with the take up reel?
Thank Youfor your help

we have the 64 inch version. The only reservation I had before I bought it was the takeup, I heard of quite a few issues with the Pro4 printer not being able to use the takeup for more than 30 feet without wandering and causing headstrikes. So far no issues to date and we've printed a few full rolls start to finish on it on various media (vinyl & banner mostly)

From what I understand, the Tru-Vis uses the same TU2 takeup as the pro4, but I havn't had any issues,

CanuckSigns

We had the same fine layer of magenta for years tried to figure it out - back and forth with Roland & our distributor. Never figured it out. Then, like magic, finally it was gone after upgrading to Windows 10! (previously was running Win 8)

Question about the TrueVis: Are the ink bags able to be removed and reinserted prior to them being empty?

Thanks!

I sent a file to my supplier which was printing with the magenta haze on my printer, he printed it on a different model (my old Vs-540 that he took on trade in actually) and there was no magenta at all. So he has sent it off to Roland, now i'm just waiting for an explanation.

As for the ink bags, yes you can remove and re-insert them. The bags have a hard plastic "connector" on the end which clips into a removable hard plastic tray in the printer, you then slide the tray back in the printer. It's basically exactly the same as a standard cartridge, except they've removed the plastic shell of the cartridge and used a removable reuseable tray instead, so less going into the landfill, and you can see how well it uses the ink, there was less than 5ml left in the bag when I last changed it, I cut it open and measured.